Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Window Wednesday: What Builders Don't Consider

New Year, new windows...Christine sent me this picture with a screaming HELP next to it!  I shook my head.  Yikes.  I wish builders would consider the reality of beautiful windows like this when they plan to install them. 

(Please pardon photo quality this time around.  I couldn't properly grab the photos off Christine's email. What look like gray walls on either side of the wall of windows is actually the frame of the image, and cropping wasn't helping).





Anyway, this lovely reader explained to me that a friend had made her four rod-pocket panels, but she didn't know what to do with them, and wanted to use them for some privacy as well as to soften this wall.  Could I make a suggestion?  Well... as you can all see, this baby is a charmer!  Wow.

Here's a look at how I would hang these available panels if someone were twisting my arm and told me I had no choice but to do it...




Okay, really, I'm sitting here at the computer barely breathing because I can't believe I posted this picture, above.  Wrong, I tell you, wrong, wrong, wrong.  Please, Christine, take no offense, but in my professional opinion,  this would be, well, all wrong.  It will ruin what I am sure is a beautiful room.

The way these windows are configured, to address only the bottom windows means visually cutting the entire wall in half.  You'll see on the "rod" I've put in some star-looking blobs, which are meant to show you where the brackets would need to be placed.  With rod pocket drapes (hung on rings with clips instead to allow easy movement), at a single fabric width, the panels will sort of look like flattish shower curtains when closed (I used 2 panels in the center here so that they can be pulled closed in opposite directions.)  If this is the way it must be (please say no), I would use a single panel in the middle, never close them, and install white wood blinds to use for privacy when needed (shown here in brown so you can see them).

Inquiring minds may be asking, "why not take out the center panels and just double up on each side?"  Good question, but, wrong again.  Sorry!  The brackets will never allow for closure, and the width of two panels on each side will cover too much of the glass, leaving all the other exposed windows in a weird configuration of glass (try to picture it).  Single width panels on the bottom sides would look far too skimpy for the scale of this wall.

So, here's my best recommendation...






I think it's critical to balance the differing heights of these windows with fabric that works with them and brings the eye up.  The panels would be hung on half-rods on the flat section of casing (which you can't really see from these images, but it's a nice surface on which to mount).  This achieves the height and softness needed.  Privacy comes from shades -- fabric romans, woven woods, or maybe even white wood blinds -- It all depends on what else is going on in the room regarding color, texture, etc.  With the design above, I believe a comfortable rhythm of fabric/shades is achieved.

Do tell, am I too harsh this week?  I worry about that!  But, here's the thing.  I love doing windows as much as I love any part of design, and knowing a thing or two about it, I'm figuring if you guys ask for help, I need to be honest.  It's that simple.  Why else would you write to me, yes?

I hope you've learned something from this week's challenge.  Good luck, Christine.  And to all of you out there building homes with unique and beautiful windows, my best advice is to consult a good designer first!

Talk to you soon,
Carol
If you would like me to solve a window issue, suggest a treatment,  critique what you have, or anything window related, please send me an email and picture to SofasandSage@gmail.com.  The only requirement is that you 1.  Become a Follower in the right hand column, or let me know that you already are, and 2.  Leave a comment on a Window Wednesday post.

4 comments:

  1. Daryl at Vermont CottageJanuary 5, 2011 at 3:47 AM

    What a wonderful solution. I love the idea! And no, being direct and honest is not the same as being harsh. You have knowledge and we want to hear it!
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic solution. Your window treatment would be lovely. Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, you did it again! That was an excellent solution that actually truly enhanced and made me like those windows. When we were looking for a house I intentionally ruled out houses with windows like that because of the expense to dress them (although I think your solution was cost effective as well) and the long term cleaning & maintenance of them. Kudos girlfriend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol,
    When I see windows like that, usually in a subdivision of upscale homes, I think that the builder had left over windows & just tried to use up his stash !!
    I agree with your solution, except that I prefer to put the rods above the frame for additional height.Single widths of measure look skimpy at 84" let alone anything higher, I vote for AT LEAST 1.5 width per panel and just take them off the window as much as possible.Good job for all the restrictions.

    ReplyDelete