Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Window Wednesday: What a Corner!

I was about to throw my hands up on this one.   Marlis at Creative Journeys sent in this picture, and here's her story.





The mini blinds came with the house and they've never known what to do with the windows.  The television is going up on the wall, and they want to be able to continue to enjoy the view, but they'd also like something with an insulating factor.  The long windows face east, the single one, south.  Marlis tells me that the south window has trees behind it, so the sun is not an issue.  (Being conscious of where the sunniest window is will always help you in your window treatment choices.)

Drapery panels, in my opinion, are not an option because there simply isn't enough wall space to accommodate any stacking, and hanging  panels would take up too much of the glass and the view.  What's really lacking here is continuous dimension to the window.  So, I've come up with the solution below, based on the more traditional furnishings I'm seeing in the photo...




I'd like to see valances on boards with some softness to them, adding some much-needed movement into the space.  I drew them kind of skimpy here (and a little too short, but my printer was running out of ink, and well, I couldn't keep re-drawing :)   but what I'm after is what is commonly called a London Shade.  Or, Marlis could use a stationary relaxed Roman shade.  Underneath,  ideal for light control wood be wood blinds, inside mounted just as the current blinds are.  Insulated bamboo shades, however, would take care of the need for insulation, and be stylish, too.  (I'd do the wood blinds the color of the woodwork).


Put pleats where the dots are, you have a London Shade.  This, as is, is a Relaxed Roman.


You'll see that under the windows, to cut some of their length, I placed identical upholstered benches.  These will help with needed dimension, bring additional softness to the space through the fabric, and give the illusion of symmetry.

I hope this gives you some ideas for yet another type of window challenge.  If you have questions, please comment and I'll respond.

Thanks, Marlis, and keep those dilemmas coming, peeps!

Talk to you soon,
Carol

If you would like me to solve a window issue, suggest a treatment,  critique what you have, or anything window related, please send me an email and picture to SofasandSage@gmail.com.  The only requirement is that you 1.  Become a Follower in the right hand column, or let me know that you already are, and 2.  Leave a comment on a Window Wednesday post.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you.. yes I've got two stools planned for the space in front of the window.. I love your take on the window. As much as I love draperies, they just don't work there!! Thanks you so much for your time. It's always good to have another opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your solution and I think it's also practical considering that beautiful cat. Cats and drapes don't always mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Difficult windows drive me crazy -- why do builders cram them into the corners -- but I love the relaxed Romans here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really excellent post for me, Must admit that you are one of the best I ever saw. Thanks for posting this informative article. ;)

    ReplyDelete