Friday, January 7, 2011

Oh, A Portfolio?

Portfolios.  Images of completed work.  Hmmm.  How many designers, decorators, stylists out there have a significant number of completed project pictures that they feel truly reflects their ability (outside of their own home)?  Really, tell me in the comments, I honestly want to know. My mind is inquiring.




Now if you have had a spread in a magazine, or your name is known throughout the industry, well, this conversation isn't really pertinent to you.  You've arrived.  We all get to see your work and you are instantly validated.   (I admire you, by the way.)  But what about those of us who work with clients who don't always see the vision through to the end?  We are left with have-bloomed images.  Bummer, when we see the beauty of the full bloom in our mind, but the client's budget is limited.  That's real life.

Why address this today?  I've been working on a portfolio slide show for the blog, to show you ( my readers, clients and potential clients),  some of the things I've done.  (I think this is one of the brilliant advantages to blogging when you do it out of a passion and a profession -- you get to share what you know).  Some of my images I am really happy with, but most, well, they just don't tell the whole story.

Here's an example...





This is the home of a fantastic young couple with no children.  The gave me a double digit budget and wanted quality.  They did not want to address accessories, as they have a fantastic art collection, and really wanted the investment to be in the furniture, rug and window treatments.  While I was completely pleased with the way this room turned out, and this is only one view, it just doesn't show well.  No, I did not style the space for photographs, and in reality, that is not always an option (this was two years ago and we have since lost touch).  Nonetheless, here is the after...




I can see a million things I would change as I look at this image in terms of styling for a portfolio.  But, it's what I have, and so I use it.  (Can I just tell you that the drapes are a gorgeous stripe with some of the olive from the rug, etc, and it just doesn't show, and that the colors are just that bit off in this photo?)  Oh well, it gives you a glimpse.  This couple asked for something warm,  without a lot of color or pattern and it was achieved, I believe.   The husband wanted the television in that exact spot, as his beautiful leather chair from which to watch it is directly opposite.  I was happy with the job because they were happy getting what they wanted.

So, what was my question, again?  If you are a decorator, designer, stylist, or any other professional where you need to show "proof" of your ability, do you have a significant number of images where projects are complete?  Do you think it matters?  I think it would make for great reading if you'd care to share it in the comments.

Talk to you soon,
Carol

4 comments:

  1. So true, Amanda. Respecting a client's home, their private space, does make it awkward sometimes -- while I'm completely passionate about what I do in their home, it is their space and it is a business relationship -- they won't always appreciate me moving their things to get the perfect shot -- it's my passion, not theirs, after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the "after" is great! No need to beat yourself up over something that happened two years ago — go forth and conquer! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you hear me yelling,"AMEN" !!! I always run into this. They never let me go all the way and then I don't want to use it. It seems once they are happy and that is often fast... they don't want to spend anymore! I have never had a client that was not thrilled, but I am most often left feeling sad that it could be so much better. And then you read comment where someone will say that their friend hired a designer and they thought it was only "so , so, nothing special". I am always thinking I bet they did not let that designer FINISH!!!! I am getting so worked up , I had better stop now...lol

    ReplyDelete