Monday, January 17, 2011

A Guest Post Today From A Delightful Design

Hi! My name is Abby from A Delightful Design. I am so honored to be a guest on Sofas and Sage! I always learn so much from Carol's blog and I'm thrilled she would ask for this post. Thanks Carol!!




Last night was my last evening spent at Kendall School of Design.
I am SO GLAD I decided to take the class.  If there is a subject you have always wanted to learn more about I would highly recommend taking a continuing education class at a school near you!  The connections I made were priceless. 

A few highlights--
I learned
**how to draw a floor plan to scale
**how to draw a front elevation
**how to create a presentation board that is not on the computer
**that I was naturally doing what was correct without knowing exactly why
**that I sometimes like to break "the rules"

Our assignment was to select one room in our house and transform it into what we would love.  We then had to draw a floor plan, elevation of one wall, and create a presentation board.
  I chose our living room because it has the most placeholders (furniture that was given to us or furniture that I dislike) and is the largest room in the house.

 Here are a few pictures of the room as it looks now. 
The list of changes is huge so take a break from this post and go get more coffee.
Bonus points for those of you who read to the end!

Our window wall

Paint the whole room In Your Eyes by Benjamin Moore (which has more green than your screen view) 
with white glossy trim.
ceiling painted in Polar Ice by Benjamin Moore which is actually lighter and more blue than the wall color.

 remove carpet

and cover them with this FANTASTIC wool and silk rug


Replace the couch--kids can't ruin it.

with this side table
one of these lamps on either side

with theses textured pillows
and two of these  crocodile ottomans in front of the sofa



Now this fireplace wall

replace the TV and stand with this chair
art above the fireplace
flanked by these sconces

Now, onto the "corner with the basement loveseat"...

would have this chandelier

and this loveseat
with a few red velvet pillows
Is anyone still reading?  Anyone?  

Here is how our "vintage glam" living room looks all together.

What do you think?
I had trouble deciding if I wanted a calm, subtle room, or a space that was bold. 
 I went bold.  I couldn't help it.  
This just suits our family.

Thanks for spending time with me today! Be sure to check back Saturday for the giveaway!  

**If you would like to be delighted with your home contact me at adelightfuldesign@gmail.com for services.**
This post is joining the party at 
and



Hi all, you may have guessed by this guest post that I am a big fan of Abby and her blog, A Delightful Design. Check it out, you'll love it, too!

Talk to you soon,
Carol

4 comments:

  1. Daryl at Vermont CottageJanuary 18, 2011 at 3:53 AM

    I loved Abby's design. I guess the TV is out then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the choices, especially the sofa and rug. I have to ask, what is up with the existing drapery panels? Did they shrink? They really look like H***

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your choices. I have been admiring the floor lamp you chose for a long time. But $700 is crazy money for our family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your post and I have fun reading and watching those wonderful design and decorations. Thank you for sharing your blog..

    ReplyDelete