Sunday, January 2, 2011

Be Yourself and You're In

A blogger I admire asked me today to give my opinion on what will be in, and out, for 2011.  She's writing a post about it, and wants to include the thoughts of a few blog writers.  I was totally flattered.  I had to think about it.  It's prompted this post.


Obvious:




Pantone's pick of Honeysuckle pink as the color for 2011 will start a trend and continue the push toward happier, brighter colors in our homes -- pretty obvious.  Gray will definitely gain more ground as the calm foil to these brazen pops of color, and beige will climb into the back seat.  Zebra will probably continue to trump leopard for a while longer, and some of the bolder, more mod patterns in fabric and wallpaper (think Kelly Wearstler), will keep a big foot planted in 2011.  I dare say, too, that gold will become more of a finish of choice.

But what of other things, of other topics?  I've some thoughts.  My humble opinions, mind you, not necessarily the thoughts of legions.






My foremost thought on the topic of What's In and What's Out?  Be yourself in your decorating and you're In, copy a look, and you're Out.  I think that going forward, more than we have seen in the recent past, having your home reflect your personality is where it's at.  Keeping up with the Jones', what they have and what it looks like, is decidedly, clearly, (way) Out.  I think we'll see more of the Smith family (or whatever name you'd choose) in 2011 -- the people who don't want their home to have a "designed" and overly coordinated look, or the look of elite labels (even if they own them and hired a designer to get them), but they still appreciate and want a beautiful home.  Emulating the Smiths' is In.


sally bourne interiors

Collecting and acquiring is In, completing a house all at once is Out.  At least this is what I'm seeing.  I'm sure this is driven in part by the economy; how can it not be?  But I also think it's a sign of where we are at in our heads.   We're looking to continue the green movement -- recycle the old, reupholster, repaint, and somehow we are personally renewed.  In acquiring, old or new, we feel more pride, don't we?  I think we'll see more of it in 2011.  I also think it's why some of the "new Traditional" is very much a look of modern or trendy fabrics on classic frames (whether or not the frames are new).



calicocorners.com

What will we see in one of my favorite departments, that of windows?  Simple is In,  ornate is Out (unless, of course, we're talking staying true to a period look or a particular style).   Again, I think this is partly driven by the economy.  I'm seeing less heavy trims in both custom and ready-made window treatments simply because more detail equals more expense.  That's my take, anyway.  Of course, the current trend with the looks derived from Europe and its linens call for less fuss, too.  One of the exceptions?  Layered looks, like insulated woven-wood blinds under simple drapery panels, especially in colder areas, like new England, where I call home.  Insulating for energy efficiency is very In, and we want it to look good.

To sum it up, in my mind,  2011 (and its successors)  will be a year where individual style, regardless of trends in color, pattern or style influence, takes more firm hold.  Be yourself in your decorating in 2011, and you're In.

What's your take?

Talk to you soon,
Carol

6 comments:

  1. Great post Carol and I agree stay true to yourself after all we have seen the trends come and go like a revolving door so we are behind before the design world has already moved on. I often wonder what people do that jump on the band wagon of a trend and completely re-do everything only to find out it is not them at all and then the trend moves on and they are stuck with something they don't even like. Yikes, what a dilema. I think I will just stick with what I love!! Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said and so true, couldn't agree more. Have a great week, Love from London x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adrienne, go for the bullion on the drapes! Personally, I am a lover of all things trim! I'll be doing new drapes this year and I can assure you, they will not be unadorned! I tried that once a few years ago, and ended up taking them down and adding trim. It just speaks to me -- do what you love, indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more. Do what you love and do it well! This post is right on. Everything is about context, and the right trim on the right drapery in the right house will look good!

    The only other trend I see coming is a return to a bit of glam from the 50's. People living with less but better quality. I can see the mix of fancy and frugal going a long way.

    GREAT post! xo,
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, great post and so true. I know a lot of people don't like color right now with all the push towards white, but I have to have color in my life. I did tone down the dining room, but it is still full of color and now it makes me happy. That is how we should feel in our homes.

    ReplyDelete