Thursday, January 5, 2012

Window Treatment Wednesday: Two-Story Windows

Okay, I know it's late on Thursday, but I was waiting for my blog design update to be finished before I posted.  So, here's my new look, and here's my day-late window post!

One of my pre-Christmas installations was for a two-story window treatment.  I thought this might interest you, because a lot of homes have windows that just make people shake their heads with the "what do I do with THOSE" frustration.  My before picture is hiding on me at the moment, so we'll start in-progress...




Cozying up this family room (which was already lovely) could only come from a lot of fabric.  My job in this room was to find a fabric that was in harmony with the walls and the fireplace, easy on the budget, and would drape well over the distance.  Umm.  Not easy.  But I'm happy with the results (and so is my client :).




Why do I insist that these types of window arrangements need floor to ceiling treatments?  Because treating only the bottom window would cut the room in half.  Not a good look.  Don't do it. Your eye should take in the whole wall at once, not stop to look at the bottom half and then the top.  Going all the way up also frames the fireplace and the entire wall is seen as a whole.   That's a good look.

This is not an easy installation, and I'm glad I work with a total pro.  (I was also psyched when it wasn't me on that ladder!)




Here's the finished installation...



I'm planning to get back to my somewhat weekly posts about windows on Wednesdays.  I have a few readers waiting to see their window problems solved, and if you'd like to be one of them, just email me with some pictures.  (Click on the envelope in the bar at the bottom of this post.)

Talk to you soon,
Carol

8 comments:

  1. The draperies are lovely and really make this room. Now I'm wondering my socks off as to how many yards of fabric you had to use? and lining! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful! Loving the drapes! Have a gorgeous weekend, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think those look great. It's kind of a busy pattern of windows and the drapes really unite them. I wouldn't have thought to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol.. yep either do the long length or nothing at all.. I love the long drapes! Gives the wall of windows a very cohesive look. I'm wondering what type of fabric you used? poly blend? You have great taste!!! xo marlis ps. thanks for the sweet note you left. I so hope your dreams come true for you in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While they look beautiful I might have considered hanging them from the bottom of the upper windows to really frame the fireplace (and save $ on the amount of fabric needed) But, again, they do look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like all of the tips and details that you provide on window treatments. I'm soaking it all in as I try to find someone in my area to work with - it's tough but I have a few prospects. What a dramatic look and you're right, the eye goes up and down and doesn't stop short - perfect! I'm not a big fan of heights so just looking at that photo scares me! Good thing you didn't have to do that install!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely, I have the same room and I'm finding very hard to decorate. Could you please post a picture of the whole room?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carol, What a beautiful fabric! The color works perfectly with the stone.
    You haven't done a WW post in a while.
    I would like to submit a dilemma.

    ReplyDelete