Monday, January 16, 2012

Design Board. Part I

I'm putting together a design board for a client and I thought it would be the perfect project to show you how the process works.  I haven't "officially" opened for online business, but it's coming soon.

I'm treating online design much as I would any face-to-face client during my full-time work week.  I ask questions about the space, the home, the client's likes and dislikes.  And the list goes on.  In this case, I am designing a family room that is open to the kitchen in a beautiful southern home.  The client wants an updated, fresh take on a traditional southern feel.  She sent me two photos for inspiration...

 The very large fireplace has both cool and warm stone colors (love that combo, so much flexibility)...




And here's the media piece she wants in the room...


Pottery Barn

It looks like the finish on this media piece is brown with a red undertone.  That will work great harmony with the fireplace, as it has lots of red and pink undertones.  There is a wall of windows, which I will share in the next post,  needing both the softness of drapes, and the privacy of shades.  Here is the fabric I am considering...




 
The pattern is traditional, while the color palette is lively and bold.  In actuality, it is more muted than it looks here.  I'm deciding which woven wood shades (a great compliment to the style of the media piece on the opposing wall) I will use, but I am leaning toward this one...




I love the vertical "striping" of the dark chocolate threads on the shade.  It speaks to the brown wood floors throughout and the brown of the media piece directly across from them.  Now lets look at all three elements together...




Lots of work yet to do -- finding the sofas, chairs, accessories, etc.   I'll get to that this week. Stay tuned!

Talk to you soon,
Carol

PS  And if you live in New England, are you loving this weather, or what?

6 comments:

  1. This is so strange. This is the same color palette I've been thinking for my bedroom. I have a Ralph Lauren Rutherford Park duvet that works perfectly with all this stuff. Needless to say, I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty combo! I love how you wrote this post explaining the "why" of all your choices. I have no doubt that your e-business will take off like wildfire! Please keep us posted on this project. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your explanations as well and this is a beautiful gathering of pieces and textures so far. That last shot is golden with all three shown together - it looks awesome. Can't wait to see more of this project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful choices! You have SUCH an eye - can't wait to see the room as it comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful choices...let us know if we can help with some unique hardware...looking forward to following the progress of this room

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Carol! I feel like I could live with this for a very long time. Great job so far, spot on, I can't wait to see what you do next!!

    ReplyDelete