Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Window Wednesday: The Bench That Butts In

A few weeks back, a reader named Susan commented on my post How To Hang Window Treatments...

"I have a window treatment dilemma. In my living room, I want to use drapes mounted high, rather than shades. But on one side of the windows, there is a bench seat that begins where the vertical frame of the window ends. It is lower than the sill but would prevent keeping the drapes off the window. Therefore, the drapes would be partially stacked on the window. I am considering installing linen drapes anyway. What do you (and your readers) think? Any suggestions?"

After I read this, and invited Susan to send me some pictures, the light went off and Window Wednesday was born.   Windows can be tough.  Susan's is no exception.  Yikes.  Here is the picture of the sneaky little built-in bench that has crashed the window party in this room.






From this angle, it looks as though she could eek out a little extra space by pushing the cushion back, or having a new one made as it seems to stick out over the bottom frame.  Another angle, however, shows that this cushion is resting on crown molding and is in fact in line with it.  Darn.  Thought I had something there.

Here is a look at the whole window (and let's get one thing straight right off the bat -- sill length panels are absolutely not an option here, unless you're into squatty and dated as your look of the moment).  (Addendum -- there are exceptions to every rule, but this isn't one of them.)





When considering what to do with any window, you have to take in the whole picture, including the furnishings in front of it.  Here, and if a valance were used instead of panels, the table is too small for that expanse, and the lamps too close.  But when things change, below, the lamps become a purposeful focal point and distract from the bench butting in and breaking the line of the drapes.  (Ok, if we're talking more than windows, I would also loose one lamp to prevent over-crowding and do a nice, well-scaled vignette.)

Anyway...Susan figures that she would have to stack the drapes onto a good portion of the outer windows and she's right, if she desperately wants the panel look.  My suggestion, however, would be to completely cover the outer windows, and bring each panel's leading edge to the inside edge of the glass on the center window.  Why, you ask?





Two reasons: 1. It gives more importance to the center window and makes the window treatments look purposeful for that one window.  2.  The inevitable bunching against the bench cushion, combined with the bench breaking that side vertical line will be, in my opinion, less noticeable with more fullness. 

Now for those of you with a trained eye, you'll see right off that the panels done this way are a smidge too wide for framing that center window.  In my mind, I'd rather trade too cramped against the bench for a little more fabric in the panel.  Completely subjective (isn't everything in design? :)

Susan was spot on when she talked about hanging the rod high for more height, and certainly she has the space.  Given that the picture rail (extending out from the window casing) is already creating a strong horizontal line, however,  I would opt to hang the rod about one quarter to one third of the way up the wall between the top of the window and the ceiling.  Going much higher than that would feel too choppy to me, unless, of course, there was an element like bookcases on the other side of the room to warrant balancing out the height.  This is not an exact science -- the whole space and it's furnishings always need to play a part in choosing the right look for the window.

So, what would you do if this was your dilemma?  How about some debate in the comments today?  As time permits I'll respond to any questions :).  I've got an insane next three days, however, so I'll try my best!

Thanks for sharing, Susan, and I hope this helps.

Talk to you soon,
Carol

 If you would like me to solve a window issue, suggest a treatment,  critique what you have, or anything window related, please send me an email and picture to SofasandSage@gmail.com.  The only requirement is that you 1.  Become a Follower in the right hand column, or let me know that you already are, and 2.  Leave a comment on this post.




6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a tough one and my hat is off to you for tackling this one. As you pointed out, the bench is just a smallest bit too big to allow the drapes to fall straight down. I see there's a small window above the bench seat and I'm wondering if this bench sits between that front window wall and a fireplace. If that's the case, I might turn the bench seat into a bookcase with shelves that terminate just below that little window, bungalow style. It would at least allow that crown molding to come off which should solve the problem.

    I don't think there's any easy answer though and I probably would have hung drapes and stuck a big plant in the corner so I could deny it was a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daryl at Vermont CottageNovember 17, 2010 at 4:17 AM

    You have such great insight into all this. There IS so much to consider! I'd prefer a rattan shade in the middle and I do like my window treatments up high on the wall. Adding something tall to the left of the windows (a bookcase or cabinet) would be perfect.

    I definitely have some windows for you to look at! I'm already a follower :). Love your blog.
    Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. As it looks like there is already privacy covers on the windows I would go all the way up to the ceiling with a valance and then do tailored tie back panels on the sides which would leave the side windows realively open.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Carol, for your suggestions. I like the center window framed by curtain panels. Daryl at Vermont Cottage suggested a rattan or other woven shade in the middle only and I like that idea. Maybe I should do three rattan shades, with the outside ones covered with drapes. I may also move my antique Chinese cabinet from the other side of the room and place it to the left of the windows to see how it looks there. As An Urban Cottage wondered, there is a fireplace to the right of the bench and a glass front built-in bookcase to the right of the fireplace. Matching bookcases flanking the fireplace would be nice, but I’m not willing to give up the bench; it makes a cozy spot to read and provides extra seating. Thanks for your perspective on other things, Carol. I didn’t realize the console table was a little small for the space. And until recently, I only had one lamp on the table, balanced by a largish vase on the other side. Maybe I’ll go back to that.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. My partner and I really enjoyed reading this blog post, I was just itching to know do you trade featured posts? I am always trying to find someone to make trades with and merely thought I would ask.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sledge hammer needs to be brought into play - gone is the name of the protruding seat. Then Venetian shutters, white, the wide vaned ones. This would allow the window to assume its full importance, light could be controlled, the view is not important, and no one will ever remember that dumb seat. Expensive, probably, but not prohibitive. This dear lady deserves the update. Thank you for Window Wednesday, I love it. Ann

    ReplyDelete