Saturday, November 27, 2010

On the Side: World's Best Chocolate Cake

I promise you -- this is THE best basic chocolate cake.  EVER.   Make it.  Let me know if you agree.


 


I've had this book since I met my husband almost 20 years ago (how is that possible when I'm only 25? I mean really...).  Anyway, I've never been much of a baker, but in my desire to make my man a chocolate cake that many years ago, I opened this book, read to page 3, and made the Deep Dark Chocolate Cake.  I've never made any other chocolate cake since.






So, here's the recipe.  It is incredibly easy.  See all the cocoa love on these pages?






Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

2 c sugar
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
3/4 Hershey's Cocoa
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1 1/2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c milk
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 c boiling water
One-Bowl Buttercream Frosting

Heat oven to 350.  Grease and flour two 9 inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2  baking pan.  In large mixer bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add eggs, mil, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes.  Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).  Pour batter into prepared pans.  Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool ten minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.  Cool completely.  Frost with Butter Cream Frosting.

One-Bowl Buttercream Frosting

6 tablespoons butter, softened (I use original Smartbalance for the lactose intolerant in my family)
2 2/3 c powdered sugar
1/2 c Hershey's Cocoa
1/3 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a small mixer bowl, beat butter.  Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk; beat to spreading consistency (additional milk may be needed).  Blend in vanilla.





It's been a while since I've put the "Sage" (food) on the blog.  If time permitted, I would share so much more of my passion for cooking.  Oh well.  I'm not much of a baker, mainly because I don't like to follow recipes and if I do bake, I end up eating what I make.  But this recipe, a must-share.

I hope you try it.  Let me know what you think!

Talk to you soon,
Carol


6 comments:

  1. Carol, what is not to love about chocolate cake?! Sounds like a good one.

    I did see your comment about having the same Ethan Allen sofa that I do. I'd love to see it if you have pics posted in your house. I still love mine too! Got it at a great price before I left them,my only real bargain from my stint there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve, I've never gone outside the box on cocoas. I mentioned that I'm not much of a baker, so I don't experiment the way I do with cooking. I have my repetoire of baked goods and don't do much more than that. Someday -- that elusive someday -- I will venture more into it. I know there is great stuff out there, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daryl at Vermont CottageNovember 28, 2010 at 2:20 PM

    Guess whose birthday is coming up? And guess who's looking for an easy recipe? That'd be me! I'll give this a go and will let you know. I don't have Hershey's cocoa so will try it with the dutch cocoa I have on hand. What harm could that do? Except maybe give us all chocolate seizures ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks super yummy! I'll let you know if I give it a try!

    I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
    abby

    {I made the best butter cream frosting over the weekend. What put if over the edge? adding the scrapings from the inside of a vanilla bean.}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, like I need chocolate cake when i've just had 1/2 a bag of salt and vinegar chips. . . must stop pretending it's Christmas already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daryl at Vermont CottageDecember 5, 2010 at 6:25 AM

    My son and hubby made this for my birthday and it was heaven! I'm linking to your blog today. Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete