Sunday, November 21, 2010

Newport, RI Bed & Breakfast Open House

My second post back in July featured Villa One Twenty, a beautifully reinvented and restored bed and breakfast.  The other night, I attended the official Open House, although this lovely inn has been entertaining guests since the steamy summer nights when I first visited.

I thought I'd do a follow up, as I am still enthralled by the beautiful architecture of this grand home, and, who doesn't like a party?    Coming up to the front door, I was struck by all the beautiful design elements in this one welcoming element.  The layers of color, the original doors and stained glass -- all so warm.








Isn't that door just beautiful?  I love how it opens up to the inlay floors in the foyer.  Can you believe that before Corinna, the gracious owner, made this home her own, all of these floors were covered with area rugs?  Shameful, I tell you. 





Here is the floor of the living room, another original to the house...




I didn't get a chance to ask Corinna about this chest, or some of the other treasures she has collected in her travels (and no, it wasn't because we were enjoying too much Prosecco, it was because she was a very busy hostess).




Here are some glimpses around the house...













Can you imagine that at the turn of the last century, the walls of this room were covered with real elephant skin, stretched  to be adhered like wallpaper?  Apparently, this room held that look for decades...




No matter the party or the place, guests always end up in the kitchen!




The food served at this event was out of this world.  Seared duck with mango chutney on a chip-like crisp, lobster mac and cheese served in individual spoons, porcini stuffed mushrooms, petite crab sandwiches on delicious warm crisps (I wish I knew what those crisps were!), and several other to-die-for treats.  The catering was done by two sisters (can you imagine I left their card behind, and ended up photographing the side of their van!).  If you live in the Newport area, do try them, they are fantastic!




I hope you enjoyed a peak into this party and another look at this gorgeous bed & breakfast.

Talk to you soon,
Carol





4 comments:

  1. Love the red front door and that room with the black fireplace looks amazing. It looks like it was a great party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely place. The hardwood floors are so beautiful and all the wonderful architectural details. It looks like it was a very festive affair.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at the front door! I just loved how they added all the natural elements in the window above the doors. I have a window above my door too and have never done this...hmmm....has me thinking of a Christmas display of sorts up there.

    What a fabulous home!

    Thank you for sharing all the great photos!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete