Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Window Wednesday: An Angle and a Gap

Talk about a challenge!  This one takes the cake.





Here's the scenario...this house is on the shore and has an understated beach feel.  This guest bedroom has two slopes in the ceiling, and the room consists mostly of this nook for the bed.  The question is how to dress those three squatty windows, considering the angle break in the wall/ceiling and the large gap between the casing and that break.

Carol, the owner, tells me her best solution is to do a box pleat valance mounted on a board at that first break in the ceiling, but she's not convinced.  Here's what that would look like...




While this solution adds fabric to cover the gap and lends some height, I feel that it's too boxy and adds yet another horizontal line to the line break in the ceiling/wall, the windows, the nightstands and the headboard.  For me, it just becomes too choppy.  My best suggestion given the existing furniture?  White Plantation Shutters mounted all the way up to that first ceiling/wall break, and then paint the remainder of that wall the same blue as the other walls.  Start the white for the ceiling at the true ceiling mark.  (Or, even better, lighten the shade of blue in the room and consider painting the ceiling blue, too -- I'd have to see the whole room to really say yes to that).

The white shutters now provide an unbroken focal point, add height, and keep the look clean and coastal. (Of course the copying and scanning I had to do darkened the blue considerably here -- refer back to the first picture to get a sense of all that white in these shutters against that pretty blue paint :)   As much as I love fabric, sometimes it just isn't the best answer.



I have to say, if using the shutters, I would also change out the glass lamps for something with texture (like a seagrass lamp) and more visual weight for greater impact.  I'd love to see the base of a new lamp bigger and more round, too.   Adding a heavily textured throw on the bed would be even more interest.

My second suggestion, if Carol really wants to soften the space with fabric, is to consider creating a wall of fabric behind the bed with unlined, floor length, rod-pocket linen panels mounted at that break.  The rod would run the length of the wall with it's ends abutting the side walls.  This would create an unbroken line of fabric and add height, too.

I hope you enjoyed this week's challenge.  Enjoy a very Happy Thanksgiving, and,
Talk to you soon,
Carol

 If you would like me to solve a window issue, suggest a treatment,  critique what you have, or anything window related, please send me an email and picture to SofasandSage@gmail.com.  The only requirement is that you 1.  Become a Follower in the right hand column, or let me know that you already are, and 2.  Leave a comment on this post.






6 comments:

  1. Daryl at Vermont CottageNovember 24, 2010 at 4:12 AM

    Excellent idea. I would go with the shutters and different lamps if it were me ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the shutters complement the beach feeling too. I think that's a great solution. And the textured lamps would be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shutter idea and it completes the coastal feel so appropriately - you do such a wonderful job. I can't wait to see what you do next - I am really enjoying Window Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea with the shutters and I totally get the lamp shape and texture!
    The linen drapes are a less expensive option too!
    This is so fun!

    Thanks Carol!

    ReplyDelete