Monday, November 1, 2010

Pillow Pick-Me-Up

Janell Beals at Max & Isabella Rooms (her gorgeous blog) inspired this post.  I'll tell you what happened.

By Janell Beals at Isabella & Max Rooms


I was reading Janell's recent post featuring a tutorial on how to make the beautiful pillows she created for her bedroom settee.  I loved them so much, I commented on the post, and in doing so, started getting carried away with my thoughts.   My teenage girls were giggling in the other room with a friend as I was commenting, and the memories just took over.

I started my former business, Carol Beck Interiors, as a window treatment designer and decorator.  The girls were three and I was always tired, and sometimes, like all moms, over-tired and blue.   Sewing and creating always perked me up.  The art of creating something is a great way for me to relax, whether it's sewing or cooking. Ok, I'm getting off track.  Bottom line,  I used to make pillows for myself as a pick-me-up.  I guarantee that my friend Lisa is laughing as she's reading this, because she knows how much I love a pillow-pick-me-up.  (We used to joke about it -- having a bad day?  Make a pillow.)

So, I'm sharing my most favorite pillow.  I made it probably  7 or 8 years ago.  In my old house, I had it in my green and red living room.  Now it's going in my master bedroom along with the living room drapes behind the chair.






Here's another pillow that goes with the current living room colors of raspberry and blue-green.




Pillows as a pick-me-up?  Yes, you can think me odd, but it's all about the process and the bonus of the end result.

So thanks, Janell, for sparking some memories with your gorgeous pillows.  It was a great inspiration!  I'm off to plan a new pillow.  In fact, it'll be for a  PILLOW-PICK-ME-UP GIVEAWAY COMING NEXT WEEK!!  Stay tuned....

Janell Beals is an incredible talent -- check out her work  at Isabella & Max Rooms here.

Talk to you soon,
Carol

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I don't think your 'pillow-pick-me-up" is odd at all and it is certainly better than indulging in a lot of other things I can think of.(-: And besides these pillows are so pretty...I love the colors you used - some of my favorites. I was at the fabric store today looking at red and white toile and a matching check thinking what a cute tea cozy it would make...a pillow like your would be nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful story, and I can relate. Being creative is a wonderful outlet that can certainly brighten a mood! Thanks for the delightful shout out and your pillows are gorgeous with outstanding details!
    Janell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came by via Janell's tweet in Twitter. I too can relate, I love making pillows, they are so easy but with the right mix you can get a masterpiece:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are gorgeous Carol!
    So much time and detail. I think that pillow would make anyone happy!
    Beautiful work, I bet those girls are learning also.
    Thanks so much for visiting TLPC!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete