Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Mixing Window Treatment Styles in One Room?

Absolutely!  There is no rule that all windows in the same room must be treated equally.  They aren't your kids, and one won't feel less-than if the others are dressed more grand.  So, change your thinking, break the mold, do what best needs doing in your space.  

In a future post, perhaps I'll show a number of image examples, but for today, I'm treating you to this Phoebe Howard bedroom (you must know by now how much I love love love her work).  The windows flanking the bed are treated to soft Roman Shades, while the larger window (maybe a slider to a balcony?) wears a valance and drapes.  It all works together to create a retreat that I could sleep so soundly in!

Designer: Phoebe Howard

Designer: Phoebe Howard

Designer: Phoebe Howard

Window treatments can make or break a space, for certain.  But not doing them, I think, is the biggest mistake you can make.  I think people shy away from doing their windows because they simply don't know what is needed.  If you can't figure it out, pull in a Decorator (I can't do my own taxes or plumbing -- I get help!  Ok, well, I do just go ask my husband for help when the faucet leaks, but you know what I mean...)

Talk to you soon,
Carol

1 comment:

  1. "But not doing them, I think, is the biggest mistake you can make."

    I think you wrote this just for me! I had 2 sets of new patio doors installed in the spring and the interior painted afterwards. I have so enjoyed looking at the new moldings and paint that I've not put anything over them. I have privacy in my back yard so that's not an issue...but cooler weather is coming and the view won't be as pleasant so I need to get busy...your comment will spur me on!

    I will use the same coverings as I had before as (1)I love them, (2)I have new extra panels that have never been used and last but not least by any means (3) they'll go with new color scheme (in my mind anyway!) They are a soft camel colored sheer panels with slightly beaded fridge near the bottom and coordinating valance panels. The colors of the panels match the flooring. The walls are a light silvery aqua, Tradewind by SW. Trim is Westhighland White. Now to figure out what kind of rods to use so they don't look dated. Old ones were black with decorative finials and they are no longer appealing. Maybe I can paint them.

    I just found your site yesterday thru "Colour Me Happy"...I've bookmarked it and will be back often! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete