Sunday, September 5, 2010

On the Side...Pan Seared Pork Chops with Grilled Potatoes


Cooking for me is incredibly relaxing.   Tonight, wanting to unwind with a glass of red wine and a delicious meal with my man (that would be my patient, loving, loyal and kind husband Ian :)), I put together a simple plate of pork chops, potatoes, and local organic corn on the cob. This is a super easy, fast meal.   (Work with me here, I'm not a food photographer...)




First came the pork chops:

Pan Seared Pork Chops in Red Wine Reduction

(4) 1 1/2" thick bone-in pork chops, rinsed, patted dry and rubbed on both sides with Seasonello, room temp.
1 tsp Dried rosemary (fresh is better, use twice as much)
Full 1/2 cup good Cabernet, room temp
2 pats butter
2 tsps balsamic vinegar
Drizzle of olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Heat large (or two small cast iron skillets), big enough to not crowd the chops, over med-high heat with drizzle of oil and a pat of butter in the pan.  When really hot (the oil starts to quiver and pull away from the sides), add chops.  Cook on each side 4-5 minutes until they are browned, but be careful not to do more than a good browning -- don't overcook.  Place in hot oven until internal temp reads about 145 degrees (maybe 10 minutes).  When at the preferred temp, take them out and place on a platter with edges or a shallow pasta bowl, and set aside to let them stand until the wine reduction is done.

To make the wine reduction, drain out most of the fat from the skillet, but not the burnt-on drippings.  Put the skillet back on a med-high heat and add the wine, vinegar, rosemary and pat of butter.  Scrape the pan drippings off the bottom of the pan as the wine reduces over a bit lower heat so that it maintains a bubbling.  When reduced by half, a few minutes later, use a spatula to get it all and pour over the chops.


Pan Seared Pork Chops with Red Wine Reduction

Just before I put the chops in the skillet to sear them, I turned on the grill for the potatoes (I had prepped them and sealed the foil packets). Right after I flipped the chops, I put the potatoes on the grill, cover closed. 

Grilled Potatoes with Parsley and Garlic
 
6 medium to large all purpose potatoes, washed, dried and cut into 1/4" slices, skin on
3/4 stick butter, divided
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
garlic powder
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
aluminum foil

Preheat gas grill on medium heat to about 400 degrees.  Tear off  two sheets of foil (dividing the potatoes in 2 packages helps them cook faster).  Divide the potato slices into 2 piles, placing one pile on each of the foil sheets.  Sprinkle potatoes with slices of the butter, salt, pepper and garlic salt.  Seal the packets by bringing the two sides together and curling up the ends so that the butter doesn't drip out.  Grill about 15-20 minutes, checking part way through to gage the cooking time by the firmness of the potatoes.  When done, scape the slices directly off the foil and into a dish.  Sprinkle with parsley.


Grilled Potatoes with Parsley and Garlic



(I forgot the fresh parsley at the market tonight and wasn't going back, so my photo is without it.  It doesn't make or break the potatoes.)









Any good red wine can be used for the reduction.  Tonight I happened to have a bottle of this California Cabernet in the wine rack -- great to drink and cook with, for about $14 a bottle.



In the pork chop recipe, I used Seasonello, a favorite of mine that I pick up in an Italian market.  If you can't find it, no worries -- it's a mixture of sea salt, rosemary, garlic, sage and black pepper.  You can make your own, just go heavy on the salt.  Here's what you're looking for:



I hope you enjoy these creations of mine.  Cooking should be fun, so don't stress it. 

Have a Happy Labor Day,
Talk to you soon,

Carol

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a good Pork Chop recipe, so I will be trying this soon! I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete