Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Inspiration and Interpretation

Considering, reading and learning from what others say can be inspiring.  It can take you in a new direction or validate a conviction.  I love discovering quotes for all of these reasons.  I hope you enjoy today's thoughts...

All the necessary elements of a room should not arrive on installation day. Room should always be left for the things we will acquire...the objects we cannot live without.
Charlotte Moss, A Passion for Details 

Designer: Phoebe Howard
Decorators should never insist on throwing out everything the client has. Even when they are far from perfect, loved possessions add personality.
Billy Baldwin 

Designers: Diana Kelly, Richard Smith
 An interior is the natural projection of the soul.
Coco Chanel 

 Designer: Scot Meacham Wood from his website

 ...People's lives are expressed in little details....The soap in the bathroom, the flowers in the garden, the books on the bedside table are all strong symbols of a life in progress. You look at these details and a world unfolds - here are their books, the paintings they cherish, the music that soothes their souls.
Charlotte Moss, A Passion for Details 



Designer: Gerald Pomeroy
Decor must have sentimental value. A house must tell a story.
Mark Hampton, Harper's Bazaar, June 1989 



Ok, this one isn't a famous designer's work -- it's the house of my good friend, whose home so reflects bits of all the thoughts above that it did, in part, inspire this post.  My childhood friends and I gather every summer at her house, and I couldn't resist adding this picture.  Her home reflects her personality, contains sentimental treasures from her past, the perfect and the imperfect.  It makes you feel at home.  And in the end, isn't that what a house is for?

Talk to you soon,
Carol


1 comment:

  1. I love...LOVE this post. I think it's my favorite since I have been reading.

    There seems to be such a fine line between keeping *stuff* and keeping what is important/sentimental. I think that is the job of the designer or stylist: to help the client discern what is really valuable to them.

    ReplyDelete