Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Window Wednesday:A Long Stretch of Windows

My reader Carol, whose first window I did here, sent me another challenge.  This room is in need of some serious fabric warmth on the windows. 





This is a Florida home, and all of those windows look out onto a gorgeous pool.  Carol hates the vertical tape on the blinds, but I actually like it because it breaks up all those horizontal lines, and yet it is neutral.  Perfect.  So, what to do with that enormous expanse?  I say pour the budget into panels.





There are connectors, called elbows (like in plumbing) that will allow you to take drapery around a corner if you do not have the tools or talent to miter-cut two rods.  I have put several short rods into this picture for two reasons: 1. another strong horizontal line would only accentuate what's already there, and 2. it looks to me to be a bit more contemporary as is befitting the bones of the windows.  I'm suggesting dark rods to coordinate with the furniture so as to carry that heavy color up and tie the whole room together.

What of the gap between window casing and ceiling?  As it is so dramatic, I would only take the drapes a third of the way up.  Half-way would cut the space in two, not good, and higher than that, I believe, would just look like Carol was trying too hard to fix it.

For fabric, a textured neutral, similar to the wall color, will provide dimension to the windows, but not highlight all of them the way using a patterned fabric would.  Lastly, I would do this...




By adding a rug to define at least one of the two distinct areas, the eye is fooled into seeing two different spaces, helping, again, to break up the long line of windows.

I hope you've enjoyed this week's challenge.

Talk to you soon, and for those of you, like me, who are snowed under (again!), stay warm and safe my friends!

Carol


If you would like me to solve a window issue, suggest a treatment, critique what you have, or anything window related, please send me an email and picture to SofasandSage@gmail.com. The only requirement is that you 1. Become a Follower in the right hand column, or let me know that you already are, and 2. Leave a comment on a Window Wednesday post.


5 comments:

  1. It looks as though there is a large glass door further to the right. Would you suggest the same for that space?

    Thanks for such great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daryl at Vermont CottageFebruary 2, 2011 at 10:28 AM

    I think you are right on, Carol! Adding the rug is the perfect touch to bring it all together too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol I love it!
    tuxSaved me a lot of money as I was about to ditch those Hunter Douglas blinds!! Can't wait to get the fabric!
    Thanks loads!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The panels are perfect. I've done that also on jobs where there are lots of repetitive windows. It makes it look like one long wall of glass instead of a bunch of boxes. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Laura, yes, there are more of the same windows with a slider in the kitchen breakfast area. I would just keep on with the same treatment the way they are all laid out. Thanks for your comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete