Friday, February 11, 2011

Before and After: Dining Room Done!

I was sad to see it end, this project that has taken soooo looonnnngggg.  (I think I may have dragged it out a little as we were having  too much fun.) But, I'm thrilled as all get-out to show you the final before and afters!  Be prepared, this is a long post of pictures :)

When Glen, my friend of a gazillion years, and his fantastic partner, Mario, asked me to help with their dining room, I knew I was in for a treat.  These guys have great taste.  Their home is a small ranch that's big on style.  Modern Masculine is what I'd call it.  Anyway, who could resist helping these two?




Glen Badessa, President and CEO of his company Immortal Cosmetics, 
and Mario Hilario, NBC News Anchor, Providence, RI.


When Glen and I got together to develop a plan for the space, he told me he was inspired by the modern, clean and graphic lines of Villa One Twenty, a Bed & Breakfast in Newport, RI.  You can see pictures of it in my post here .  He wanted black, white and taupe, something strong.  The budget allowed for everything but a new chandelier or dining table.  The black roman shades were staying, too.  Yippee!!  Lots to do!

After  too-many-to-count cheek-aching laughs and several consults, shopping trips and working sessions later, here are the before and after shots.





































So, that's how it all turned out.  I'd still like to style the table (a white faux fur runner is on my mind), and some artwork is coming to one wall, but other than that, there she is.  Working with Glen was a great collaboration, and Mario was our best supporter.  Nothing beats working with someone who's on the same page and totally "gets" it.

For those of you who are new to Sofas & Sage, (who are you and where have you been?), I'm glad you're here for the final reveal.  If you want to catch up on this saga, you can read about it here and here, too.

Thanks, Glen and Mario, for letting me wedge my foot in your decorating door and stay a while.  What are we doing next? :)

In an upcoming post, I'll show you a bit of the work that went into the drapes, paint, and corner cabinets,

Talk to you soon,
Carol



10 comments:

  1. Black and white is always classic. Love the curtins and striped walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol you know I am a fan of black and white and then you add stripes, Oh my. Love the drapes and the striped walls! Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  3. shut the front door! :-) I can never get enough fabric and those drapes are to die for! Love your selections. Great work!! They must be thrilled!
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome. I love the graphic prints and the retro vibe. It's masculine and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thrilled to meet you and thanks for stopping by my place. Love this room. It turned out stunning. Black and white is always so striking. Great fabric for the drapes, and I love the stripes too. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. was reading your comment on Maria Killams blog...go to the nearest paint store, get all the shades of orange you can find that is in the hue of your kitchen... when you have the paint colour that closely matches the color of your oak kitchen...your armed and ready! Now,just ask your husband if he would paint the kitchen a shade of orange? When he answers... of coarse not silly! Your ready to show him the shade of paint the oak would be if it was paint...give him a few minutes or hours...what ever it takes to have the shock sink in... do not talk about change yet... just let the oak/orangey/yellow sink in........ in a few what ever time it takes to bug him...wait for him to bring it up... remember leave the orange paint sample around as a reminder, lol He will bring it up again, because it will bug him !!! And when he does, your ready...
    Now pull out the your favorite white paint swatches and ask him... which one should we change the orange kitchen cupboards to, sweet heart...
    Smile... but never let on you got this comment from me...
    Now if this doesn't work, send him on vacation with a few of his friends and have the kitchen redone on his Mastercard, lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to compliment Carol with the results of this room. It is an exercise in restraint and subtle sophistication. The room has the lines of a well tailored mans suit. The leather dining chairs echo the texture of a double breasted blazer with wall representing the strength of a crisp shirt and the unexpected rythm of the perfect tie is captured in the cartridge pleat drapery. Great choices!!!
    The skin patterned chair adds just enough glam to brush the dust off of expected wing tips!

    Really really well done. Please invite me for the maiden dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dining room say wow! Pulled together. Fun. Inviting. So well done. I love the color palette. The niche turned out really fabulous. Love the chair! and the art on the wall.. oh just love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the window treatment. That pattern is great. Nice graphic room that reflects your client's style. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on this labor of love! It's stunning and I know how much fun you must have had. Can't wait to see the real thing!

    ReplyDelete