Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Window Wednesday: Bedroom with Lots of Glass

What to do with a Master Bedroom with lots of windows and a slider?  Laura, a reader and Follower, asked me this question in an email last week.  She told me she and her husband are thinking about a traditional look with an organic twist when they get around to a re-do.  Here is the spacious, well lit room...





A couple of things to notice: first, the bed doesn't leave much room on either side for drapes to stack between the bed and the glass of the window; and two, the walls between the slider and the flanking windows aren't wide enough to accommodate both  drapes on the windows and drapes on the slider that can close for privacy and insulation.  Here is another view...




To bring in an organic touch, I'm suggesting woven wood blinds with fabric (usually a solid twill tape)
along the edges for a crisp outline.  Then, to talk to the traditional elements, I would use an organic, textured linen for operable drapes that can be closed at night on the slider.  I drew in an iron bed with a curved line to offset the clean wood lines of the furniture and put a sunburst mirror on the wall to also help soften the hard lines.  Here it is...




This is only one of several directions this blank slate can go in, depending on what bed is purchased, and what happens to the furniture layout and the bedding choices.  The color palette in this room needs some unifying, too.  I colored in the window treatments for effect, not really for color suggestion (except for the bit of brown for woven wood shades). If you look at this last image and think, "ooh, but that looks a little cold with just shades," I would agree.  And I would add that the reason for it is the stark contrast between the paint and the bedding and chair, etc.  But picture it, if you can, with textured cream bedding and fluffy layered pillows, tan trim on the blinds, the palest beige textured drapes and a dark wood rod to match the wood furniture.  And then, perhaps, a crisp cream slipcover on the chair with a beautiful pillow with some beige, cream and blue.  Peaceful.  Textured.  Yum.

This, my friends, is where design comes in.  Magic rarely happens from changing just one element.  Like a symphony, all the pieces must play together, and that's where the fun starts.

 I hope you got something out of this week's windows.  Thanks, Laura, for sharing your room.

Talk to you soon,
Carol

If you would like me to solve a window issue, suggest a treatment, critique what you have, or anything window related, please send me an email and picture to SofasandSage@gmail.com. The only requirement is that you 1. Become a Follower in the right hand column, or let me know that you already are, and 2. Leave a comment on a Window Wednesday post.

3 comments:

  1. When I saw this I immediately thought...blinds, happy I wasn't too far off. I don't think I ever realized before what a problem window treatments could be...you always come up with a great solution.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree-Agree-Agree. Adding window treatments is not enough to finish off the room and I love all of your suggestions. These are some of my favorite posts you do!
    xo,
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your suggestions. The mix of drapes and blinds is an ingenious solution.. Your suggestions are great.

    ReplyDelete