Sunday, February 27, 2011

Brilliant Design or Great Marketing?

{Before I get to the heart of my question, let me say this...I am in awe of established designers not only for their talent, but for their necessary tenacity to get where they are.  As in most careers, not any easy thing, garnering acclaim.  So, that's my disclaimer before I start.  Those I refer to in this post are brilliant, and I pose my question as something to ponder, not as a judgement on the execution of their aesthetics.}


What's the question?  When a top designer hones his or her "look", is conscious thought given to the palettes used, based on how they will photograph?  (I hear you gasping at the suggestion.) 



Jackye Lanham via Cote de Texas


This thought came to my mind the other day when I read two posts on two different blogs, visually devouring the images as I read.  Later in the day, I thought "I wish the colors in my house were all light neutrals -- they'd be so much easier to photograph."   Light bulb!  Have those who have reached stellar success consciously made the decision to use light colors and shades of white to make the most of their portfolio images?  It is an indisputable fact that whites and lights look stunning in photographs.  If so, I say, "Bravo!", brilliant and talented marketing at its best, equal to the talent of said designers (if they do in fact, exist!).   After all, portfolios are a vital part of the business of design, yes?


Jackye Lanham, via Cote de Texas


The above images are from the fabulous Cote De Texas blog, where Joni recently highlighted the ultra beautiful work of Jackye Lanham.   I'm sure you've already seen them, but look again with a different eye (these rooms are the epitome of gorgeous to me).  Much of Ms. Lanham's work is done in neutrals.  Is that an intentional part of her look for the purpose of her marketing?

Now let's look at a fantastic post done by Maria Killam at Colour Me Happy on the topic of the great Vincente Wolf.  In her post, she tells us that Wolf only uses Ben Moore's Super White in his work.  Is that for brilliant photography or because he truly believes it is the best possible design choice?  Here are a couple of photos I borrowed from Maria...


Vincente Wolf via Colour Me Happy


Vincente Wolf via Colour Me Happy

Vincente Wolf is a brilliant designer, as is Daryl Carter and my personal favorite, Phoebe Howard. They both do a ton of neutrals and lights, too.  I could name others, but you get the point.

Again I go back to my opening statement for this post.  I am not suggesting manipulation for fame or insincerity in design.  Hardly.  I am simply continually fascinated by every aspect of design, even the mind of the designers themselves.  In an endless effort to improve my own skill, as so many of us do, I look to icons for inspiration and lessons.  Where is there more to learn, I ask.  So when I read both Joni and Maria's posts in the same day and the thought came to me, I had to share it.  And, as I said and we all know, design is indeed a business.  Brilliant marketing helps.

Perhaps designers who read this post will think I'm nuts.  But, who knows?  It's interesting to contemplate, isn't it?  If you're establishing a look for yourself (aside from the fact that you are passionate about it), would you use only certain colors because they photograph well? (And don't do the immediate "of course not!" and huff off -- think about it...)

Talk to you soon,
Carol


11 comments:

  1. How interesting...I have a marketing background but I would never have thought of it as an element in photography and design. But of course it must be. Good observation.
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting Carol. Personally I would have to say I think the reason why most designers use such light or white colours is because they don't have enough experience with WALL colour to use it confidently. Therefore, we most often see light or pale neutrals making it easy to come to this conclusion.

    Homeowners that do my course that simply love colour are at exactly the same place in understanding undertones as designers sitting right next to them that have been doing it for 30 years.
    Which is why I can make the above assessment.

    Great food for thought though and thanks for the mention!!
    xo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very intriguing question - something I have not thought about before. I guess I would hope designers are choosing colors based on their clients rather than an upcoming photoshoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coincidentally, I was recently cruising through some real estate home interior photos. I was struck by how cold, sterile, and uninviting the rooms with stark white walls appeared. Although some may have been professionally designed, they were not professionally lit or photographed. The professionally designed and photographed interior photos are rather like clothing displayed on an air-brushed size 0 model in a fashion magazine – lovely to look at but wouldn’t work for me in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting thoughts about the colors and lighting! Considering the type of lighting used to photograph interior designs might also be in order. Most indoor photos need lighting in the room to give the desired affect of the designer. Are the standard white light bulbs we have all used, in lamps of these rooms, or maybe the newer energy efficient bulbs? As our country moves toward all households using energy efficient bulbs which indeed cast a different light in rooms, I am sure the color choice of paint and design pieces will be affected in the final result of photographs taken. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article and creative blog. Keep up the beautiful work. (-:
    Chers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol,
    You always start the best discussions! I've been thinking about this for days now. I would say it's a combination of both lack of confidence in color--and the visual appeal to the masses. I don't think I could ever live in an all white home! But you knew that already. ;-)
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, I read this yesterday but needed to ponder for a bit. I have always been aware that most designers choose a white or neutral sofa for years, this is not a new thing but has just been a standard for a lot of designers. Easier to change the look of a room. As far as the adds, right now I think it is what is on-trend and that is what is appealing to the masses, but trust me people are shouting for color and I see more and more of that. Our homes are not always what be appealing in a magazine spread, but they have to be appealing to us. Keep your style sweetie and enjoy your warm interiors. Everything has a season and trust me it will come back around to the warm colors again, it always does. KS

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photos you use are beautiful but they remind me of many mag spreads - at first glance my reaction is always "I want my house to look like that". But after studying the components of the photo I'd agree with one of the earlier posts, a neautral scheme enables the designer or set decorator to bring in pops. As much as I'd like the look, rarely are there a bunch of tulips in color-cordinated bliss sitting on my coffee table. Right now I have a Nerf gun, two laptops and a stuffed monkey (dog toy) - I never see THAT scenario in the style mags! We have lots of colored walls but as I'm contemplating a kitchen re-do I'll probably do neutrals (your first pic is perfect) because it will play nice with the other rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an interesting thought, Carol, and not one I had considered. You are right though, I always like pictures of rooms that are lighter and in fact, it has me thinking that way for the next house. I do love that kitchen shot; the first thing my eyes went to were the chairs and their seats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely think you are on to something here. Ever since I've been blogging I've noticed the photos I take against white or very neutral turn out the best. I am contemplating repainting most of my house because I don't like the way it photographs. Even though it looks very pretty in person. Most of my walls are painted Devoe Ivory Lilly....which is a barely there yellow...think real butter....

    I love the color but in photos it looks WAY yellow and it drives me crazy photographing and trying to get it to look like it actually looks in the room. Occasionally if the light is jut right when I take photos it will look like the barely there color that it is...but most of the time it looks soooo yellow.

    So I DO bet they totally consider color and how it will photograph for portfolios.

    ReplyDelete