Friday, March 4, 2011

I Got A New Rack

Put your eyebrows down.  Plastic surgery isn't the topic today.  I'm talking antlers.  Deer antlers.

If you read design blogs or the latest magazines on hot decor, you'd have to be sleeping through it to not to notice all the antlers being used in design of late.  They are everywhere, from white plastic deer heads to silver coated Texas Long Horns.  Some of them are clever and whimsical.  And I have to say, unless you have a personal connection to them in some way, why would you use them for any other reason but whimsy?  The fake ones, I mean.

Here's a couple of examples, the first from Ballard Designs, the other source unknown...




(I found the above on Google images, which led to the blog  Chic on a Shoestring, which I immediately fell in love with.  Check it out.)





I won't bore you with the million images out there of rooms using them.  Instead, I will entertain you, lol, with this image from my family room.





The antlers, yes, are real, and they came from my parent's house, where my dad has several racks holding his collection of baseball hats and other sundries.  They line the stairs to the basement.  When I asked him if he'd like to donate some to my family room (in my ongoing attempt to have this room truly reflect our family), he offered me these.  I love them.  He had mounted them on a slab from a cedar tree.

So I have given in to trend and put antlers in my house.  Only because they reflect my dad, and my husband's one foray into deer hunting (another story).  They also contribute to the English library feeling I'm going for in there.  (Can't you just imagine the stenciled, tone on tone damask pattern that coming to those walls? :).

Do tell...are you in or out on antlers?

Talk to you soon,
Carol

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is such a controversial subject. But being Texan and living with hunters, I have no problem with antlers. I like to use them in decor and find them to be a natural element. I grew up in France where there are things called "hunt rooms" with nothing but the walls filled with animals. So maybe I have been desensitized. I don't care for the whole room look, or deer heads, but antlers are fine, just not painted white and plastic....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thought I had when I saw your image was that I LOVE the wall color. You're adding a stencil? This is such a teaser to keep the whole room from us for so long. I think your antlers look fantastic. And I love that you're using them for all the right reasons. If I put antlers in our current house (except for maybe one of the boys' room they would look ridiculous.
    big hugs!
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on the fence about them for a while but I gave in and recently bought several vintage mounts to add to the house. They may be a trend but I think they're also a classic that will never be out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them even more than I thought I would! Knowing your family makes the addition particularly charming. I can't wait to see the window treatments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great and I love the family connection. Looking forward to seeing what you are doing with those walls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daryl at Vermont CottageMarch 5, 2011 at 5:55 AM

    Totally in. There's no way I'd do a mounted head; but, I love bringing nature in and antlers are naturally beautiful. I put up a carved deer or antelope head in my living room redo, which is just fun. It's vintage and belonged to my FIL. Probably a gift from someone in Poland or Eastern Europe so there's a story to tell as well.
    Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right on trend. For the whimsical version, check out "Big Game" at beachbungalow8....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carol,
    Well, I'm not much on deer heads featuring a full rack or real antlers unless they're shed antlers, but I'm digging the plaster ones or whatever they're made of. I did a few years ago buy from a German antique dealer a couple of "heads" -- not real mind you, but they do have real antlers. Kinda interesting really. I still like them -- and I guess I always will as I paid a small fortune for them. So, I'm in. (Your headline made me laugh a bit and brought me in....) cheers1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the look. I'm a Texan so I'm used to a rack or two in a den or study. I like them painted too and in multiples.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't mind the whimsical ones... It is such a personal design choice, no? We worked in a hotel that was decorated with faux ones and they were glorious. Can't wait to see your damask tone-on-tone room!

    ReplyDelete