Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Before and After: Our Stairs






Our last house, which we moved from four plus years ago, has within its walls too many DIY projects to count -- new stairs, all new floors, moldings, window seats, and the list goes on.  We had gotten it pretty much the way we wanted, and then of course, we decided to move in favor of a little more space and privacy.

Taking on our current house meant doing some projects all over again.  The worst of which, in my man's mind, was the stairs...




(The day of our inspection, me in the kitchen).  It was almost an insult, being assaulted by the super cheap, blue-gray, worn rug in this picture -- it was the exact same rug we had lived with and hated in the old house for ten years!  And, alas, we were haunted by it anew.  (Oh, and I know you are checking out the $.99 tile, two different styles, no less, in the hall and the kitchen.  Put your green eyes away, lol...that's another story.)

Anyway, this past summer, my man reached his breaking point and ripped up the carpet and the pine builder's board stairs and replaced them with oak.  Admittedly not my favorite species, but we had to coordinate with things existing, so there you have it.   He did a gorgeous job. He can do anything.  I'm seriously lucky.




After we'd finished painting the outside of the house all summer, the runner went on in the fall, followed by my drawing molding boxes on the wall and wallpapering them two weeks ago (a great girl-power day, teaching my teenage girls how to measure, cut and wallpaper)...




My man then cut and installed all the molding pieces I'd painted (BM Standish White) and finally, the finished product...




In reality, the wall is darker than it appears here, and the Versailles pattern wallpaper by Jaima Brown has the exact BM Crown Point Sand color in it as the walls are painted.  The stained woodwork is reflected in the warm brown tones in the paper, too.






What a difference it has made in the plain and tall front hall and stairway.  Just enough English meets French country.  I just wish the pictures showed just how nicely the colors of the rooms layer with the hallway :(, but you get the idea.  (Oh, and the floor in there will eventually be a limestone look, in varying size tiles, to give a stony feel -- another thing left behind in the old house!)





So, that's part of what I've been up to lately.  I took some time off from blogging to attend to some other commitments, but I couldn't stay away too long.  Blogging is such an addiction. :)

What's got you busy around the house?

Talk to you soon,
Carol

8 comments:

  1. this looks fantastic...I like everything about it. The wallpaper idea was sensational. What a wonderful difference. Just super!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the stairs and the runner. The moldings are fabulous. Great job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did to your stairs! We have gone through the removing carpeting and replacing treads process too and it is not a fun job. The results are so worth the effort though. I also think the wallpaper was a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice job! Everything you've done is a great improvement. I love that you're all working on these projects as a family, especially teaching the kids how to wallpaper. These skills/crafts are dying so it's nice to see people passing them down. I'm fortunate to have learned wallpapering from my grandfather, sewing from my mother and aunt, and other DIY from my father. So I'm pretty much able to do anything on my own.

    Love the color harmonies too. You're really drawn into the living room. I think some wider moldings around the doors would be exquisite.

    And thank god you put that runner down. The misaligned tile alone would have kept me up at night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work! You must be so happy when you come into your house now! The colors are perfect and it's a nice version of using the moldings. If my husband was that talented he'd never get to sit down! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fantastic Carol, i love seeing what you show me first (may it be fabric book, wallpaper book, consigment finds and such in their finished form) You and Ian are a fine tuned couple in all aspects! Did i say that right...its team work!
    SO Whens the next dinner party??
    Whats cookin in the Kitchen? Any new recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love me a good before and after and this one is wonderful! Love what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you back I was wondering where you were?!!! What a great transformation you did on your staircase, That is a lot of work and Yes you are a lucky woman to have a hubby that is so handy. Tell him we are all very impressed with his work and want to see more!!(Idid that for you so he will keep doing projects,shhhh!) Kathysue

    ReplyDelete