Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Window Wednesday: My Bathroom

Today, it's all about me.  I've been procrastinating doing a cornice for my first floor powder room/laundry, and there's nothing like entertaining for the holidays to light a fire under the butt!   For point of reference for style and fabric, my home is Traditional/French and English country.  I put this together between last night and today.

Here's my window before.  I have wood blinds which match the color of my pine casings (I know how jealous you all are of my wood trim LOL.  Has it become clear yet, from reading this blog, how much I hate adore wood trim??) I had a treatment there prior that was probably my all time favorite one I've done, but it no longer fit when we added blinds.  Bummer.


Wall color is BM Silver Mink, in the gray/blue family.



Anyway, I wanted something super simple as it is a very small room with the washer and dryer in the closet. (This makes for fantastic utility, by the way, especially when the entire family leaves their clothes piled in front of the closet door, making for simply excellent access to the toilet and vanity.  I  digress...)  I decided to do a cornice in a textured fabric, to give the room one surface that wasn't perfectly smooth.

Making a cornice calls for a pattern, so I made one and tested out the look...



Dig the paper for the pattern?  It's old kids' drawings on copy paper, all taped together.


When I completed the wood frame (my man cut it for me and I assembled it), I had to test it out before upholstering it.






Here is the finished treatment...






The fabric is  Kravet.  Here's a better view...






Next week, back to reader's windows.  Hope you enjoyed another peak into my always-in-progress home!


Talk to you soon,
Carol

If you would like me to solve a window issue, suggest a treatment,  critique what you have, or anything window related, please send me an email and picture to SofasandSage@gmail.com.  The only requirement is that you 1.  Become a Follower in the right hand column, or let me know that you already are, and 2.  Leave a comment on a Window Wednesday post.

6 comments:

  1. This really turned out great...super inprovement. I have always wanted to do an upholstered cornice...wonderful the way you used the cording trim (I am in love with cording, it is so useful). Looking forward to seeing the rest.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice Job Carol, actually compliments the wood trim LOL
    would love to see more of the bathroom...or i can wait till next thursdays dinner party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! How did you decide how large it should be, how much of the window it should cover?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the step by step. It never occured to me that a pattern would be required for a cornice but now I can add that to my list of things I know how to do, thanks a lot Carol!
    xo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daryl at Vermont CottageDecember 17, 2010 at 4:23 AM

    I just love how that turned out! I can't stand a dinky cornice, so love the size of yours. I also really like the fabric and cording. You are GOOD ;). (By the way, the wood blinds in your bathroom look just like the ones in my living room).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

    ReplyDelete