Saturday, December 11, 2010

Before and After: Dining Room Built-In

Remember My Friend's Edgy House?  Progress is in progress...walls have been changed from plum to satin black beneath the chair rail, the chairs are in ,and drapery is in the works.  The dining room corner built-ins were on the list this week,  and I'm happy to show you how I styled them with items we shopped for in Glen's basement.

Here's where they started.   There are two, in opposite corners.  (Notice the federal pediment at the top.)





Glen's ranch-style house is masculine, minimalist and graphic.  No fuss.  So, I suggested we get rid of the incredibly wrong federal motif and make a contemporary transformation...






When it came to styling, we shopped Glen's house for the (perfect!) things he already owned, and added in the slightest touch of Christmas bling.  Check it out...











Glen found the black and white damask wrapping paper at Target to add some wrapped gifts to the decor -- they are so perfect they just might stay post-holiday.















When the shelves were finished, we added to the dining table.





I tried to go for the urn-type container filled with a collection of wine corks, but the bulk of it was making my minimalist friend panic :).  I asked what he thought and I got "it's ok...I like it...,"  and I laughed and said "you'll be changing that the minute I'm out the door."  It didn't take that long.  I turned away and he said "What about this? You said we could put an ornament on top."





So I added another couple of ornaments on the table.  He smiled (and sighed relief.)  What do you think?

While at the house, I also taped out and painted black stripes over white in the nook.  I can't wait for that reveal, coming in the next couple of weeks.  This project has been a time challenge for both of us -- I'm squeezing this in for my good friend, and he's getting together with me in the middle of launching the retail line of his cosmetics company.  Not easy!





The entire room will make its debut in January with a party he promises me he'll throw!  (I just need to get sewing the drapes!! Ahhh!)

Talk to you soon,
Carol

8 comments:

  1. Removing the federal pediments is a HUGE relief! I also really like the addition of the black on the walls. Suddenly the leather chairs look awesome. I liked the urn on the table but I think the corks were the problem. Maybe if the white ball ornaments were in it? The damask adds some greatly needed pattern. Maybe this could be brought to the window treatments? Can't wait to see the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how this room was coming and was thinking of e-mailing you. It looks SO fab. I love the black walls...perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daryl at Vermont CottageDecember 12, 2010 at 8:13 AM

    I love it!! Black walls are always fabulous in my book and I can't wait to see the stripes. I also liked the urn with the corks and see Steve's point about filling the urn with ornaments instead. Either way, it all looks wonderful. You are very talented, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is turning out so fabulously. I am a big fan of wooden details and onlays but the pediment was totally wrong in the current room...so much better without it. All very striking...I can hardly wait to see the stipes.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhh.....black & white always looks fab! I love, love, love the way this room is coming together. Glen's accessories are beautifully reflected in the space. Get on those drapes now - we're all waiting for the final reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks so good so far. i can't wait to see the end results!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bookcase looks so clean and modern now! Great job...can't wait to see it finished!
    XOXO
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so awesome! I love what you did, and I can't wait to see the stripes! So very cool!
    (LOVED your comment on my post just know, it totally forwards the conversation--awesome!
    xo
    maria

    ReplyDelete