Sunday, December 5, 2010

I'm Dreaming of A White Mantel...

Come on, everybody now..."I'm Dreaming of a White.....Mantel....Because the One I Have's Butt Ugly....."

Here it is.  I dare you to tell me that it's not ugly.  I dream of a creamy-ivory mantel, with thick gorgeous moldings down the side, maybe some kind of stone work over the brick.  But, alas, I have this. Shall we sing another chorus?





This is Christmas season #4 with this fireplace.  I've tried it all.  Swags, glam, glitter, mirrors.  Nothing really works.  I'm not exaggerating.  My man says he's doing the new cherry mantel this winter (no, not white, wood.  More wood.  Ok.  He only asks for one thing.  Natural wood.  It's the least I can do when he never knows what the walls will look like or where his nightstand will be when he comes home.  He lives with me -- the spouse of a decorator is not an easy calling.)  Anyway, for now it's another season with this.  After going through all my boxes of  Christmas decor (shamefully, there are thousands), I ended up here...




It actually looks half decent in the room.  But lets take a closer look, shall we?





Check out Santa's expression.  He looks embarrassed to be up there on a mantel so skimpy his big feet hang off.  I swear to you that's what he's thinking.





Here's the middle shot.  It's ok.  It'll do.  But if I bring you in closer to look at my cardinal...






He'll look you square in the eye to let you know he'd fly off there in a second if he wasn't clipped down to a branch.  He's got a bit of an uppity attitude.  You see it, don't deny it...

All kidding aside, working a not-so-great fireplace is best done, I think, with simplicity.  I'm all about a natural look this year, and a bit less than my normal over-the-top.  I don't know why, but it's feeling right this year.  Less is more.  (Did I really say that?)

My mantel and my fireplace are less than fabulous, and not a lot to work with when it comes to great decorating.  But one thing I don't have to dream about?  A house filled with love and laughter and a strong family -- because that, I have, in spades.  I am blessed this holiday season.  And that's a whole lot better than a fabulous mantel (even a dreamy white one) to adorn.

What's your decorating nemesis?

Talk to you soon,
Carol

5 comments:

  1. Haha, you are funny Carol it looks lovely what you did. But what about painting it? Or is that in the realm of wood too? I hear you. My spouse complains that the furniture in our house is not comfortable enough yet, I say there's a chair still coming but I need to actually choose the fabric still (torture). In the new year I will commit, I will commit, I will commit. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. My decorating nemesis is so obvious...I just can't be simple, god knows I try, but it just never seems to work. I am doing a little better but as you can probably tell I have a l-o-n-g way to go.(-:
    I think your mantle looks great, I love the Santa and that is a beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh- how our homes would be different if only we didn't have to worry our pretty little hearts about what our husband would think! There is no judgement here! It's all about doing what you can with what you have. IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL!
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. So here's the thing -- I've got two huge fresh poinsettias coming for the hearth. That's the extent of it. Next year, well, just look out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this post is very usefull thx!

    ReplyDelete