Saturday, December 4, 2010

3 Tips for Great Arrangements

The two arrangements I put together for my dinning room table (here) had a couple of tricks to them I thought you might find useful.





Tip #1.  If you're using a container with a small opening,  stuff some newspaper in first to add some extra support.  This will help your artificial stems, which can be thick and heavy, to stay where you want them, and it provides a base for the floral foam that goes on top.  (Raise your hand if you've had your floral foam fall through to the bottom of the container.  Hellooo down there...That would be me, too.)









Tip #2.  Floral clay (or "gum") needs to become your BFF.   Seriously, this stuff is amazing, and you can get it at any craft store that carries floral supplies.






 This is what I used to tack together the ribbon I put around each vase.  This reduces that bulk you get from tying bows.  I then tied a simple bow out of another piece of ribbon and tacked it on.






Tip #3.  Add bows to both sides of an arrangement using floral clay.  With the reduced bulk from the floral clay, you can add a bow to each side of the arrangement (if you keep the bow pretty simple) so that it can be enjoyed as a complete design from both sides (great for centerpiece arrangements).  You can see the two bows if you scroll back up to the first image.

I hope you find this useful as you go about inventing your holiday (or every-day) arrangements.  For more on making a complete floral arrangement, see what I did here.

Talk to you soon,
Carol


1 comment:

  1. Great tips and a beautiful arrangement. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on Kathysue's Guest post on my blog. She always does such a wonderful job and is a great friend. I've just signed up to follow you. Have a nice weekend. Mona

    ReplyDelete