Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Lady Who Paints

On vacation in Newport, Rhode Island this past July, I happened upon "The Lady Who Paints" Gallery on Bridge St.  It was next door to Cottage & Garden, which I wrote about in the post A Shop to Stop My Heart.  It was there that I met the gallery's artist Rosemary O'Carroll, who welcomed me and my family in to have a look around.


I share this with you because I think her work is gorgeous, and her subject matter so varied.  In this picture, Rosemary is standing in front of a recent series of controversial works she's done about the story of slavery in Newport.  You can see more of her work at www.ocarrollpaintings.com.  I think it so important that when you happen upon something that moves you, that you really ought to share it, for the benefit of others.   And my husband and I were moved by so many of her pieces.

There were so many pieces in her Gallery that spoke to me, in fact, that I'm still dreaming of owning one of them. There is nothing like original art; prints are lovely, but the real thing, I think, evokes emotion and infuses it into a room in a way in which copies cannot.  Originals just seem to me to be alive with the spirit of the artist.

If budget permitted, I'd have original art in every room!  But alas, that's just not where I'm at in life.  But I can admire it, and share it, and spread the joy it brings.  Hope you enjoyed a quick glimpse into The Lady Who Paints.

Talk to you soon,
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment