Thursday, August 12, 2010

Food and Design -- What's the Relationship?

Looking for inspiration this morning, (ok, really just avoiding cleaning and packing the car --not my favorite activity -- to take the girls and friends to the beach for the day), I found the following quote.  It so completely relates to my own thoughts about  Design and Food.   It is as though the author were in my head at some point in time.

This is why, I believe, so many designers I know are great cooks...

Any designer who does not appreciate or know about good food is not a very good designer. The planning of a meal and its presentation - the texture, the color, the tastes, the hot and cold temperatures - are the same concerns that affect an environment.*
                                                                                              Robert Kime, Architectural Digest 



From the Monterrey Bay Aquarium website

So does that really mean that I personally think you're a poor designer if you don't know the difference between bechemel and creme bruele?  No. It's not about the act of cooking so much as it is about the innate appreciation of the experience of food -- whether cooking it, eating it, entertaining with it, or just enjoying all the elements that are infused into a really fantastic dining experience.  The color, the aromas, the place setting, the way in which it is served.  It is orchestrated, when it is successful, with an attention to detail.  Just like successful design and decorating.  They are so much on the same side of the creative coin.

Be still my heart.  Sigh.  I am off to a great day at the beach, followed by a meal I've promised my good friend (yet to be planned!!).  Off to clean and pack the car....
Talk to you soon,
Carol
*   http://www.interiordesignquotes.com/color.html

No comments:

Post a Comment