Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Bachelor's Pad

A client of mine in his late fifties/early sixties told me he wanted a place that truly reflected his tastes and where he was at in his life.  He'd been single for many years, living in an apartment full of not-so-him, mismatched furniture and he was ready to move on.  This ended up being one of my favorite projects, so I thought I would share it here.  (Oh, and thanks, Rick, for letting me pop over and take these pictures!)

Below are before shots, with the previous condo-owner's furniture.  He ended up keeping the black leather sofa, which you'll see in the afters.





Here are a few of the afters, and then I'll make some comments:











What were the existing pieces we worked with?  Lighting, a beautiful teak dining table and chairs (which we recovered in a fantastic gray and white zebra-inspired print),rugs, and the Wassilly chairs.  What would I change?  The lighting.  It needs to be larger scaled and more bold, and the dining area would be better served by a fabulous drum shade chandelier.  Maybe another project for another day.

When we first met, my client asked me if  we could incorporate the expensive, traditional rug (above)  he was keeping into a more contemporary space. The graffiti artwork was called into action to be the "bridge" we needed.  The artwork also inspired the pops of red around the space.  Sometimes, one critical piece can change the entire mood of a room.

Does your space reflect who you are?

Talk to you soon,
Carol









No comments:

Post a Comment