Saturday, August 21, 2010

On the Side -- Grilled Shrimp and Orzo Salad

I know I've been falling down on the "Sage" part of my blog -- my "On the Side" section at the end of my posts where my passion for food comes in.  Quite frankly, I haven't given it the time it needs because, well, I just haven't had enough time!  But when, in a conversation with my mother tonight, she mentioned she hasn't seen much about food, I thought I'd better get to it!  Don't want to let mom down (she is my most loyal reader, after all!)

So today I bring you my  Grilled Shrimp and Orzo Salad that I mentioned in the recent post Custom Window Treatments: Worth the Investment?  This can be a meal in itself (recipe for 4), or served as a hearty side.


Recipe and Photo:Carol Beck


The first step in preparing this dish is marinating and grilling the shrimp.  It adds an incredible layer of flavor that you don't want to omit.  The following recipe is one I adapted from Williams-Sonoma's Grilling, from their Kitchen Library series (Garlic-Skewered Shrimp).  I have used these grilled shrimp in arugula salads and cream sauces over pasta.  In other words, totally versatile!

2 lbs. jumbo shrimp (uncooked, frozen and deveined, then thawed and shells removed)
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup olive oil (the best you have)
1/4 cup pureed tomatoes
2 tblsp red wine vinegar (I also like balsamic here)
2 tblsp chopped fresh basil or 1 1/2 tsp dried
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayene pepper (you can also substitute chili powder and I throw these in something Tex-Mex; use cilantro instead of basil)

Mix together in bowl, add shrimp, cover and refrigerate for about 30 mins, tossing once or twice.  Oil grill rack, thread shrimp on skewers (don't forget to soak bamboo ones in water first), and cook 6-8 minutes, turning frequently and brushing with marinade a couple of times (make sure to stop brushing in last couple of minutes to make sure all is properly cooked).  Set aside for salad but keep chilled.

Now, the Orzo/salad part comes straight from my kitchen.  I don't measure anything when I cook,  and I do it to taste (which is why I've never given a thought to writing a cook book!!)  For those of you who are analytical cooks and can only go by measurements, I'll try to be accurate.  I just can't promise! This part can be done the day before so the whole dish doesn't seem overwhelming to prepare.

1 lb box Orzo pasta (I only use Barilla)
1 1/2 yellow pepper, seeded and sliced in 1/2 inch strips
1 small plastic container of grape or cherry tomatoes (I prefer grape), all sliced in half
1 large or 2 small viladalia onions, chopped
about 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
olive oil for dressing
white balsamic vinegar for dressing
1/2 fresh lemon
salt and pepper to taste.

Follow directions for making the Orzo (make sure to add lots of salt to the cooking water).  While water is heating, saute peppers in about 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat just until peppers become a little tender.  The point is to soften some of the crunch.  Take them out, set on cutting board and roughly chop.  When orzo has cooked al dente, strain and rinse in cold water.  Set aside.  

In large serving bowl, toss together onions, peppers and  shrimp.  Gently add tomatoes and then add as much orzo as you want, almost all of it, keeping watch to make sure that the ingredients seem well balanced (you don't want too much orzo so that the flavors are diluted).  Now add the following vinaigrette:

Mix 1 cup good olive oil, 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar, juice of 1/2 a small lemon, about 2 tsp dried basil (or more, depending on your taste), salt and pepper to taste.  Whisk together,  and pour about half of it over the salad.  Then add fresh basil and gently toss again with more vinaigrette as needed to give the salad a good coating, but not so that it is runny. It's best to set it in the fridge for a while before serving to let the flavors meld together.

I hope I didn't forget anything!  My passion for food happens in the creating, the serving and the eating, not so much in the education.  

Good luck and enjoy!

Talk to you soon,
Carol





















No comments:

Post a Comment