Friday, August 27, 2010

Osgood's Textile Heaven

Finding out about a new fabric resource, I think, is a bit like getting a present.  Whether you are a textile junkie, a sew-it-yourselfer, a decorator, or anyone who requires fabric to get a job done, you might want to know about this textile heaven on earth.  It's not that it's pretty, mind you, it's just busting at the seams with whatever you might want.

Osgood's is about an hour and twenty minute ride from my house, and the pilgrimage usually never disappoints.  When I come to their sign on Route 20 in West Springfield, Mass., I must confess my heart does race a little!  The anticipation of what I might find is a bit too much to bare.


The first thing I see when I walked in the front door this week is this stunning I-can't-breathe-as-I-picture-it-in-the-living-room-of-my-dreams  ottoman.  Isn't she lovely?  And she was on clearance for a mere $600...


I had to keep moving past, even as she called to me to take her home (I'd like to stay married, so I held fast and walked on by...do you hear the song in your head, too?  Walk on by....).  Yes, Osgood's does carry a limited array of furniture as well, some great pieces from Theodore Alexander, Vanguard, and others.  Anyway, I get distracted...


Back on track, this is what I come to next, above.  Row after row of bolts of silks and upholstery fabric, followed by home decor fabrics which are  all sorted by mill or designer names.  There's a small section of imports, too, from France and England.  Looking for something discontinued?  You can bet on them having it.  Need to find something you have a swatch of, but no information on it?  Email them a picture.  They really are great.  You can get their info here.


About a year ago, I reupholstered (myself -- I love doing it as a hobby), this wing chair that my father-in-law made for me for Christmas one year. The fabric was a find at about $30/yd (it had no identifying tag, so I don't know whose it was), and my girlfriend and I went nuts when we saw it.


Textile resources, really good ones, are becoming scarce in this country.  If you know of any others in New England, or even in the Raleigh/Durham area of North Carolina, where I am headed for a visit this fall, please post a comment about it?  I'd love to unwrap a new present!

Talk to you soon,
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment