Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Design Board Update

Remember this post, where I showed you the design board for a client with a new construction home?




When I went to visit and consult on paint for other spaces, I tweaked the colors for the family room.  I had put a color on her board just for looks, knowing I would get there to choose one on site when she was ready.  I thought you might like to see what we went with.



Here's the fireplace again, which really feels like a wallflower in the space -- awkwardly waiting for a deeper paint color to bring it into the party.  This room gets very bright sun until late afternoon, and a light color would completely wash out.  I chose Ben Moore AC Pismo Dunes.  Why?  It is a taupe with great purple undertones to completely harmonize with the fireplace...
  



Here's a close up...



That's the drapery fabric, by the way (I'm sure you figured that out, but if you are new to this story, a clue is always good).  The goal for this space is to achieve a room that hugs this family with warmth, comfort and relaxation.  

The dark little swatch on the Pismo Dunes is a Sherwin Williams color (my mind is totally blank on the name of it right now!).  Anyway, it is going in the coffered ceiling, which will add an element of drama to the space, but still maintain the harmony.  Imagine that color in all these ceiling "boxes"!



Before you get all weird about the color and furnishings in the room, keep in mind this is a just-moved-in picture, and the furniture isn't staying.  (Whew, right?  I know what you're thinking.)  Aside from that gor.gee.us  ceiling, you can also see the carpeting really well.  Critical that we keep the palette in harmony with that permanent element, too, as its pink tones talk to the purple tones in the stone.  Eventually, there will be an area rug in there to ground the conversation circle.  This room has SUCH potential.  

So that's my update on this project.  My client is in the process of stenciling her first floor powder room and I can't wait to share that with you.  (I have to be patient, she is a DIYer with 4 kids and a job!)

Talk to you soon,
Carol


4 comments:

  1. I love the fabric. Cant wait to see it when its competed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing how that fabric picks up all the colors in the stone. Perfect pick for that room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the paint color and the fabric, Carol. It will work so well with the fireplace. Your client is lucky to be working with you! Keep us posted with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your client should be thanking their lucky stars to have you on board. That paint color and fabric is just perfect. But the ceiling color --it's going to put the room over the edge fabulous! I'm seriously so excited about this project.

    ReplyDelete