Sunday, March 18, 2012

Before and After: My Dining Room

I finally finished (well, almost), my dining room, so I'm sharing the before and after.  Here's the view from the living room, and then I'll show you the before...



At Christmas, the brown Jacobean print wallpaper was up, and it just had to go.  Don't ever do something you don't love!  This paper lasted exactly two years.  I would have taken it down the day after I put it up, but I couldn't.  I thought maybe it would grow on me.  It didn't.




Here's how it looks today.  No more oriental rug (yeah!),  no valances, no darkness :)  The mirror is from the before shot.  I painted it and plan to age it, as it's way too white and matchy.  It's there until I find the mirror I'm looking for.




Here's the rest.  I used my sugar and creamer from this post...




 I brought a chair in from the living room because I think it works better in this space...




 Or do you think it is better without it? (Uh oh.  need to paint that outlet cover!)




The Majolica plates that I bought here have made the wall.  I love the unexpected whimsy of them and their worn imperfections...






The two signed prints on the right are of my husband's quaint hometown in Connecticut.  I love the personal meaning they bring to the room.



My plan is to someday exchange the predictable hutch that was purchased about 12 years ago, and replace it with something French, old, and perhaps painted.  I will also change out the host chairs to fabric when I find the perfect ones.  Time and patience.  I will find them.




So that wraps up my weekend!  Nothing like a deadline (hosting a wedding shower in two weeks) to get things done.  These days, that's what it takes for me!

Talk to you soon,
Carol

15 comments:

  1. WOW. love the wallpaper...it will be a beautiful shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful! The wallpaper, your pretty draperies, and the great dining set look so nice together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I love it! I think damask wallpaper is so beautiful! We also chose a very similar damask print for our foyer. It always makes me smile when I see it! :) Enjoy your new space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That wallpaper is off the hook. I'm glad you kept the drapes. They're the perfect contrast. And those plates look amazing.

    I can totally see a painted hutch and the upholstered chairs would be beautiful. If you can't/couldn't paint that hutch, is it possible to put some fabric or paper on the back to lighten it up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the wall paper. Your plates you found match perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the wallpaper, majolica and your clock. Your dining room is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I really liked the before.. but I can see where the change is really wonderful. The new plates pop against the new, really pretty wallpaper. Love the new chandy too. This room turned out really great! Yes, love deadlines.. makes me get things done quickly.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice change. Maybe you can paint the back of the hutch in that wonderful seafoam or turquoise you are using in the room until you can find a piece you love. You might like some of our distressed pieces. I think upholstered hostess chairs will be great too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I just stumbled on your blog and I love your classic style in the dining room. The pops of turquoise in the curtains and majolica are great...so's the wall paper.
    Babs... and I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love your wallpaper! ....and the majolica plates. What a perfect pairing. It's such a lovely room, Carol. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Love that new wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just gorgeous! I love the new wallpaper and all your elegant details. You're a talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The wallpaper is a wonderful change - lighter and more modern. I love those Majolica plates. I'm glad you put a close-up in of them as I probably wouldn't have noticed how sweet they are. I bet you smile every time you go past your lovely new dining room. I know I would!

    ReplyDelete
  14. BAM! Love the wallpaper and how the touches of blue look in the room!!!!

    ReplyDelete