Saturday, March 17, 2012

Consignment Shop -- Majolica Score!

My friend Tracy and I went to Consignmentworks in Dudley, Massachusetts today.  Eight thousand square feet to hunt through.  I've been wanting to go for quite some time.  Totally worth the trip for these beauties...



This sugar and creamer came home with me.  I could. not. resist.  Wedgwood from back in the day.  (You know, those old days.).  I have NEVER seen anything like them and they had it all for me -- a bit of cobalt blue, some blue green and some brown to speak to my love of brown transferware (of which I own, well, none.)

We were actually on our way out when I spotted the vase to the left in the back of the image above.  The color caught my eye, and then, hello, I saw these!...



Majolica!  I have coveted Majolica in magazine images, and when I have seen it from time to time in antique shops.  Today, it had my name on it.  Again, I've NEVER seen anything like it.  The colors are spectacular (subjective, I know), and the gnomes on each are so enchanting.  (I realize there are some among you who are rolling your eyes, but isn't life grand that we all find different things great?)  Each of the 13 plates has two gnomes engaged in different garden activities.  On the one closest to the bottom, the gnome on the left is riding a snail, and on the one to the right of my friend's knee, one is standing on the other's back to smell a flower.  When I hang the three I bought (tomorrow :), you'll see which ones I picked!  And the plate behind the sugar and creamer?  Majolica, too, but I had to stop somewhere!!




And hello glam with this vintage Whiting and Davis purse!  Another score in the true love department.  I'm going to a black tie wedding next week, and this will be my bag.  I nearly fell over when the price was a whopping...$15!  Better than anything I would have bought otherwise. :)   I love that it was made in the US and that the company was founded one town over from me in the late 1800's. (love the web)

While those were my purchases, here's some other fun stuff I saw...

I don't know anything about this baby, below, but I was tempted.  It is electric, and I could just see it with some black shades.  If I had a spot...




Total quality piece.  It could either be fabulous or completely gaudy, depending on how it is used in a room.  I'm voting for fabulous.  Maybe white shades?  I couldn't get a price because it had just come out on the floor and the Consignworks owner was out at an estate sale.  Bummer. 




Next to it were these fun chairs.  Fantastic for a traditional space with a twist, or a modern space that needs some traditional grounding.  The fabric was beautiful, great hand to it...




While I'm not a mid-century person,  I did find this completely appealing and would love to use it on a job (the lamp, not the poodles)...



And how about these?  I can actually see these brass numbers anchoring a grouping of four white Barcelona chairs with a bar cart in the background and a round cocktail table in the middle.  Something chunky and rustic and grayed.  Am I nuts?...



So, that was my St. Patrick's Day.  I had the luck with me (I am a bit green), and came home with some treasures.  If you know anything about any of the items above, I'd love any info you've got. :)

Talk to you soon,
Carol

6 comments:

  1. Those plates are amazing. Just quirky enough to make them cool. And that one behind the sugar bowl is to die for. I could do a whole room around that plate.

    I might just have to go out there tomorrow to buy that tole floor lamp. So bad it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Funny how pieces just jump into your arms sometimes, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great finds, Carol. I can just see that floor lamp in a modern space as the carefully selected exotic thing in the room. Love your majolica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pains me that such an amazing place is so far away. I would take any of those pieces! Your majolica is gorgeous!!

    I would love those chairs in our house...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am green with envy today! I love your little plates, they look perfect in your new dining room. Clearly worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete