Friday, October 1, 2010

What to Do With Wood Trim?

Paint it. 

Unless you are married to my man, have a Tudor, Arts and Crafts style home, or a home with expensive, beautifully crafted moldings.  As I am the one married to my man, and we live in an open layout colonial, I live with pine wood moldings and doors.  It's a man thing, I just know it is.


Better Homes and Gardens


Now, this kind of look  I'm all over.  I love the warmth of it.  The natural wood is purposeful in the design -- I mean really, check out those floors and ceiling beams.  True love there, for me, my friends.  But alas, I'm not talking about this kind of woody wonder.  I'm talking about standard issue casings, chair rails, etc.  It's not that I don't respect my husband's preferences, we're just worlds apart on most of what we like.  Not easy for me as a decorator, and certainly not easy for him, living with me!!  Thankfully, we respect each other enough to make it all work. :)

My advice when wood is the only way -- try to treat it as a trim color.  I've tried ignoring it, and with some cool colors, I've gotten away with it. But generally, earth tones, especially greens, usually look great with natural (sometimes organge-y with age) woodwork.  I used BM Light Khaki  in my kitchen, and it looks fresh, modern, and far more green than it does in this picture! (Ok, a pretty poor look at the kitchen, but I promise a tour of the house in some post down the road :)
 



Maria Killam, of Colour Me Happy, did a great post called "Happiness is...a Happy Wife"
in which she talks about the topic of men and wood trim.  A must read, in my opinion!  I'm convinced there is just something primal about men and their love of natural wood, wood finishes, and non-painted furniture.  Paint, to so many, is simply...enemy.  I suppose I get it, but I'll never get on board (hahaha!).

How about you -- if you have wood trim in your house, what paint colors have you used?

Talk to you soon,
Carol
PS  My disclaimer -- I do recognize that there are men out there who do prefer paint, and women who prefer wood trim.  I just don't come across too many of either in my day!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Carol,
    Hey did you take that photo with flash? That might be why we can't see it. . . just curious.

    Have you read my "Open letter to my lover on decorating" that's a good read for your husband too, haha!

    Thanks for the mention!
    xo
    Maria

    ps. By the way the colour in my post was the colour I recommended I guess I wasn't clear about that. I didn't take any before pictures becuase I didn't think they would go for it and the pale colour I thought they were going to do wouldn't have been worth photographing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband would die a broken man if I ever painted our woodwork... I have just given up the thoughts of white lovely trim and doors... I think you have to beware of white walls and stay away from pastels too. I have notices a trend, stain woodwork is coming back in a big way. Keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete