Saturday, October 23, 2010

North Carolina's Farmer's Market

My friend Lisa and I did a little exploring during my visit to her new digs in Cary, North Carolina last week.  Of course, we went in search of a fabric store. That led to a chat with the salesperson, which led to a trip to the Farmer's Market in Raleigh.  Wow.

In New England, we have local farm stands.  We don't have this...


or this...



Row after row of farm fresh produce, and an entirely different section for plants of all kinds. 







We were totally in awe of the place.  It was fairly empty early on a Friday morning, both in visitors and in vendors.  We suspected it may have to do with the State Fair going on at the same time.  I was so overwhelmed by the thought of having this much fresh food available every day, year round!  Unheard of in New England.  I know a lot of you readers out there enjoy this kind of access to freshness all the time, especially you guys on the West Coast.  But for us?  Hello!  Slice of Heaven!




The Indoor Marketplace had every locally made and jarred item you can think of (and so many I'd never heard of).  I was completely charmed, and was regretting I didn't have a huge suitcase to lug home a bunch of things to try.











A flower vendor had the most exquisite bouquets for $12.  One went home with Lisa.




There was a German baker who was very patient while I drooled over keuchen (a yummy reminder of my childhood).



I didn't indulge, though, because we were saving our appetites for this little place, still within the Market...






I swear to you I have never had such light, non-greasy fish and chips in my life.  The thick french fries, surely made from fresh NC potatoes, were to die for -- slightly crunchy on the outside and a steamy mashed potato texture on the inside, and absolutely no fried taste.  We weren't surprised that within 10 minutes of opening for lunch, the place was filling up.

Now that I'm back and blogging again, I want to thank you for hanging in there and continuing to check in while I was away and having some technical difficulties.  I have become completely addicted to my near-daily blogging, and it was hard to do without!  Stay in touch for some upcoming new projects.

Talk to you soon,
Carol

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great farmers Market in anyones book. I am from Calif and yes we do have wonderful produce but this is amazing even to me. Enjoy your new enviroment, Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that?! I would have had lunch at the German bakery.

    ReplyDelete