Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Happy 80th Birthday, Dad!



 My Dad.  My best memory is of him taking me to the movies on a bitter cold, snowy day after my morning session of kindergarten.  We went to see Lady and the Tramp.  It was the 70's, and my dad was laid off, so he was around a lot.  I remember him taking me into the theater and as we were just about the only ones for the afternoon show, he left me under the watch of the older gentleman behind the popcorn counter, as he went out with borrowed newspaper to cover the car windshield.  I wasn't afraid, standing there at the window, watching him by myself.  It was the 70's after all.  A different world, then.  I remember the feeling of how he just took care of everything. He was so smart not to let the windshield freeze.  My dad could do anything.  I can recall every minute of those few hours.  Special.  Just. So. Special.   And now, he's 80 and I'm still 5  (ok, not 5, 20....). :)


Dad and my Mom, his bride of  54 years.

So, for two days last week, you endured my Party Prep posts, and I thought I'd show you a bit of what I served.  Cooking is a joy for me, and an extra one for this occasion.




My Butternut Squash and Crab recipe you can find here.




I did some petite croissants filled with lobster (a favorite of Dad's).  I used only a teeny bit of mayo to hold the meat together, some salt and pepper, and then drizzled each sandwich with warm butter before serving.




Veal Saltimbocca also made the table, and I did some with chicken, as well, as my girls don't like veal.  The recipe for this can be found at the bottom of my very first post, Welcome to Sofas & Sage, here.




Then there were some oven roasted potatoes with garlic and parsley, along with a few other dishes.

Thanks for following along during the party prep, and for helping me to say Happy Birthday to my Dad, who turns 80 today, October 13th.

Here's to many more!!

Dad, at 80, me, still 5.


Talk to you soon,
Carol




3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I love this post because it is such an nice expression of your affection for your father. The pictures are super - So heart warming. The dinner...well, scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky dad to have such a sweet daughter who prepares all his favorites. I love soups, so I will be sure to keep that squash and crab soup in mind! best, -s

    ReplyDelete