Sunday, October 17, 2010

Are You Balanced or Artfully Mixed Up?



No, this is not Psychology 101.  I'm talking symmetry vs. asymmetry.  It seems that we humans have an innate tendency to fall into one of  two camps -- keeping things very orderly and balanced (in our decorating) or preferring to mix things together without the need to have things match.  Successful design keeps a foot in both camps.




Since I mentioned Psychology 101, I will say that in my experience, some people really are wired so precisely that they would be physically uncomfortable in a room where the chairs didn't match, the lamps flanking a sofa were different, or a vignette didn't seem orderly.  An entryway like this one, above,  from Country Home Magazine may make a "symmetrical person" flinch, because things are "off".  In fact, it is a charming, welcoming vignette.  But, my point?  We are who we are,  and in decorating, neither is wrong.  Both symmetrical and asymmetrical design can have a purpose, evoke a feeling, or set a tone for a space.

To keep this post focused and orderly, :) I'm going to show you images of symmetry in design, and save its counterpart for another day.  Symmetry, along with providing balance in a space, also invokes a feeling of formality, even in the most casual of spaces.


Southern Living


This dining room, above, is fantastically symmetrical.  Notice the chandeliers, the trees, and everything on the table.


Southern Living


 The symmetry in this dining room, with its rough-hewn wooden chairs and table legs, is instantly more formal because of the balanced arrangement of accessories.


Country Home Magazine

 Check out the art wall and it's asymmetry -- it lends a casual feel to the room, while the matching, symmetrically arranged chairs bring instant order and formality.  Same with the matching chairs, below.



Country Home Magazine

 Both of these living room images artfully mix the symmetrical and asymmetrical to give a funky vibe.


Southern Living
 Gorgeous!

A healthy mix of both styles in a home is what keeps it interesting.  Too much symmetry, it feels stuffy and uptight.  Not enough, it can feel disorderly.

So, do tell, what innate camp do you fall into?

Talk to you soon,
Carol

2 comments:

  1. The little graphic at the beginning is interesting because I never noticed something about myself. If I were making art, I would make asymmetrical shapes because I think they're more interesting. In my home, however, I need symmetry at an OCD level to feel at peace. As an example, the dining room with the rough-hewn chairs has a basket on the left-hand wall that throws the room out of balance for me. I'd have to have something on that wall that's a light value. Or, I think I'd have to paint the french glass door brown. I know...crazy. They're all really lovely rooms though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on the room...sometimes things look better placed in a symetrical way and other times not. So...I guess I am a little of both.(-:

    ReplyDelete