Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Making Rooms Feel Complete With Paint

Paint color can go a long way when a house needs to become a home.   It can fill the void in an unfinished room like nothing else, and be a great bridge from undone to warm and homey.

Take my friend Lisa's new house, for example.  It's got gorgeous bones (I have total molding envy), but with four teenage kids inside, completing the decorating is a challenge.  Paint to the rescue!



The living room, above, was off to a great start with furnishings from the old house.   (Except for the builder's pinky beige on every wall and ceiling.)   So, in came Sherwin Williams Comfort Gray...




The paint color was inspired by the fabric we chose for the cornices, which will have cream drapes underneath...



A library feel is the goal for this room.  The SW Comfort Gray helps balance the warm/cool affect in this room perfectly, I think. 

The adjoining dining room color was next.  Here's the blah before (fyi, the rug is now in another room, too matchy)...




When Ben Moore Trout Gray went on the walls, and BM Rich Cream got slathered on the tray in the ceiling, this happened...



Goodbye builder beige, hello home!

Sherwin Williams Comfort Gray, Ben Moore Trout Gray and Ben Moore Rich Cream (with white trim)
What a difference the right paint makes, yes?

Here is the progress on the paint change in the foyer.  From total pinky beige...


To a well-defined staircase with Ben Moore Northern Cliffs (looking a bit cooler here than in reality)...


In this picture, you can still see my roller marks on the wet paint!  And yes, Lisa and I did all the painting (in three days, in between entertaining 6 teenagers!)  Never underestimate the power of paint or the determination of women on a mission :).  The back wall (facing you) of the upstairs hallway will also be the Northern Cliffs.

Now, with the addition of the right paint colors, this house is starting to look like home.  Color will be Lisa's bridge to completing her gorgeous spaces.

It's nice to be back in blogland...
Carol

Need help choosing the right paint colors?  
I'm ready to help -- email me about a paint consult.

5 comments:

  1. The changes are unbelievable! The dining room looks like a totally different house. I love your attention to detail in the ceiling. The room wouldn't be the same without it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colour of the dining room - great job! And, yes, I have molding envy also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice transformation. I ADORE the dining room! The Trout Gray is wonderful.

    Northern Cliffs is the color I used to paint my foundation. It's a great natural stone color. It looks great in the stairwell with the brown wood, black metal and cream woodwork. Very handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, what a great eye for color... soft color in this case... you have! I love the NOrthern Cliffs. I am looking for a soft neutral color for my living room and dining room! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete