Monday, August 20, 2012

Coffered Ceilings...Design On The Ceiling

Don't you love detailed mill work in a house?  For me, coffered ceilings rank right up there with my lust for love of thick white moldings and a home full of nooks and crannies where window seats and down pillows abound.  Anyway...

A few posts back, I showed some paint transformations going on at my friend Lisa's house. Here's the before of her family room (right after moving in) with a great coffered ceiling.  Pinky-beige paint and the same on the ceiling.  Bor.ring....


Today, she sent me the completed ceiling...

Coffered ceiling in Sherwin Williams Backdrop 7025.  Walls in Ben Moore Yosemite Sand AC-4
What a difference, yes?  I choose the BM Yosemite Sand for the adjoining kitchen, and we then decided it ought to go right into the family room.  It's an interpretation of the gold in the fireplace stone.  The SW Backdrop adds the perfect amount of drama to the space.  Now, even though the fireplace has pink and purple in it, the room no longer feels so overly pinky-beige.  It has balance.


Here are some more coffered ceilings that have my heart singing a happy song.  Check them out...

blog.wainscotsolutions.net

elitecrafthomes.com

mitrecontracting.com
ths.gardenweb.com


Source: houzz.com via Clare on Pinterest



So, what's your opinion?  Do you like coffered ceilings painted or would you rather see them white?

Talk to you soon,
Carol







                                   











4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, what a timely post! I have a coffer ceiling and have considered painting it in the past but wasn't sure how it would turn out! After seeing these photos, I've added it to my list of MUST dos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol!!!The second image with the ceiling on a diagonal made my heart skip a beat... and say "I gotta show this to Dave!"
    Love what you've done with the SW color on the ceiling - so awesome when someone sets a darker color up there rather than whitewhitewhite. XOXO! - Cris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this look. I am thinking that I could really use this in the kitchen.. Must check this out!! And yes I would paint the ceiling were it higher.. Great post.. Going in the save file! xo marlis

    ReplyDelete