Saturday, November 12, 2011

Before & After: Southwest Meets Traditional Finished

Remember this post about my challenge doing a living room for a couple who wanted to mix traditional with a Southwest feel?  Well, yesterday we hung the artwork and we are just about done.  The only things remaining  are the chandelier, a lamp, additional custom pillows and a bit more styling.

This is where we started.  The brilliant rug was the only thing I was working with. (Horrible phone picture)...



Now onto the transformation.  This is a highly eclectic space.  The first round of furniture was delivered...





Kind of boring, yes?  Big room, vast wall, no window treatments.  Now, here it is today...




There is a lamp coming to the round table to the left of the sofa. The metal artwork is copper with a dark patina. Here is a closed up of the roman shades.  The diamond pattern on the fabric is actually twine, and the beads are wooden. (The colors don't look great.  Pro photographer I am not!!)



When you enter the home, this is the foyer design I did, and you can see the rug peeking out in the corner picture after it.



Corner before...




Now...




My clients had some great pieces to start the styling for the coffee table.  I want to add some books and a candle or two.  Isn't this rug the most gorgeous thing??  I wish I could take credit for it.  The wife told me yesterday that she was actually disappointed with it after it had arrived.  Just goes to show, not only can a rug provide great inspiration, but when a room is properly built around it, it can really be art on the floor.




I mentioned that we still need to hang a chandelier.  This is what I am suggesting for the space.  It is very large -- 42" diameter.  Just what the room needs for a finishing touch and to provide this very open floor plan with some much needed lighting.  This isn't the greatest image, but it's all I've got.  It will fill the two-story cathedral ceiling beautifully.




I'm thinking it's just the thing to complete the space.



I have to say that the most gratifying part of my job is seeing my clients happy, and let me tell you, these clients are so fun to work with that making them smile is what I look forward to.  After this, I believe we are moving on to a new bed for the master bedroom.  Can't wait.  This has been one of my most favorite projects.

Hope you all have a great weekend.  In the next day or so, I'm going to be posting some pictures of furniture and lighting that we are clearancing off of our showroom floor.  Great buys.  Stay tuned.

Talk to you soon,
Carol


8 comments:

  1. I love the tall zebra backed wing back chair. It really helps add some height in that tall space. Looks gorgeous, Carol! Great job. You should have it professionally photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rug is absolutely gorgeous! I love the choices you made to pull it all together. Can't wait to see it with that beautiful chandelier in place.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY inspiring!!! Well done and just love how the chair goes with the rug, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Georgous...love the combination of colors you used and the interesting patterns. The armchair is amazing. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That rug is brilliant! Love it! Great job on the redo.
    xo E + J

    ReplyDelete
  6. You rocked that room....that zebra chair with the rug is fabulous! I love the whole room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with the rug and the wonderful high back chair. So creative to put the zebra pattern on the back. Those little details make a room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The entire room is certainly 'a breath of fresh air' and a wonderful transformation. Love the play of patterns and colours. Beautiful job!!!! -Brenda-

    P.S: For the DIYer: The ooffee table resembles what I made my daughter a number of years ago when she couldn't find side tables in scale with her living room sofa. Easy-peasy to make as consisted of a welded faux Verdigris angle-iron frame including a lower shelf with drop-in sheets of wood recycled from an old dining room table. (Being a single home-owner at the time she was on a strict budget.) Though her taste has changed (and she is now married with children) she still uses them in an alternative room.

    ReplyDelete