Sunday, February 17, 2013

Living in Black and White

It's funny.  I absolutely black and white rooms,  yet I don't have one in my own home.  Instead, I punctuate my rooms with black and cream accents, though it's not the same.  This image below sings to me of home and comfort, because of the humbleness of it and the strength of the black...





Black and white floors are so classic I will never tire of them (and the leopard is a total bonus, on a French chair with an orange pillow, no less)...




I imagine I would be happy making some comfort food in this kitchen.  Grand it is not, but full of warmth and so inviting, indeed it is...





I guess I'm in a comfortable-home kind of mood, with the wind chill at 2 degrees outside this evening, because I'm loving these homey images. This next bathroom is a bit more formal, and I'm nuts about it.  It's the wallpaper with the black chest that just gets me, but to make it mine, I'd have a wide plank pine floor and a rustic mirror.




Please, please, fairy godmother of dream homes, can this be my foyer?




Okay, so I'm a little all over the map with style in these images, but it's fun to look at how a color scheme works in different homes, isn't it?





Loving these shelves, above.  Totally says "home."

So this next one's not a room, but black and white houndstooth on a channel-back antique chair?  To.Die.




Well, I could go on and on, but if truth be told, it's Sunday night and the season 3 finale of Downton Abbey is almost on.  So, I have to run.  Clearly.

But before we go, might I just say that you can always add a bit of black and white to your space with a pillow from  6 Wilson on Etsy.  Just sayin....


etsy.com/shop/6wilson


etsy.com/shop/6wilson

Thanks for reading, my friends.  I appreciate it more than you know,


Carol

5 comments:

  1. Hi Carol .. I headed over from your blog thinking you were guest posting somewhere ... I take a little time off from reading blogs and look at what you have done! I'm going to comment on this post and then go back and look at the rest of your blog ... I am obsessed with black and white right now. You know I have always had a lot of white but last year I bought a copy of Celerie Kemble's "Black and White" and edited down everything in my living room until it was primarily just black and white. I love it. I was fortunate because my upholstery was already white and most of my casegoods were either black or very dark espresso so it was an easy task (changing pillows and a few accessories). It is a look that I won't tire of easily (like you said). Love your images .. will be pinning a few :D xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love black and white too! I have some black sprinkled in a few rooms but not one room with just black and white. (My laundry room is getting close though). Have a great week!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the burnout velvet is gorgeous.. I hadn't thought of doing that.. what a great idea. Love the check pillow, too. Perfect quilting on the fabric.. just makes my heart sing. I have black and cream drapes in our bedroom. But that is the only place.. I am thinking of adding it to the turquoise bathroom (from the 60's) that was in the house and we haven't torn out.. Gorgeous photos for inspiration! xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love black and white too.

    The kitchen shelves that say "home" belong to Trina from A Country Farmhouse. It seems a lot of people connect with them.

    ReplyDelete