Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Construction Matters


So since I'm selling my carefully crafted pillows on Etsy, you really ought to see how they are made.



Construction matters when you are buying quality items, no matter what they are.   I owned a small custom window treatment business years back (another story for another day),  so I know how to sew professionally.  And I'm bringing those skills to my shop.



On the pillow above, for example, the gray velvet and the Schumacher linen in the middle are different weaves - really tight (velvet) and lots of movement (linen).  In order to have a beautifully smooth pillow, the linen needs to be stabilized to get closer to the heft of the velvet.  Sooo....


As you can see, I backed the linen with muslin (super lightweight cotton).  At the seam of the two fabrics, you can see the pattern on the linen from the front.   All seams are serged (an overlock stitch done on a serger sewing machine) to prevent fraying.  Not all fabrics need backing, but all seams are always serged.



A 6 Wilson pillow will always have a well placed pattern.  Sometimes it will be centered,



sometimes the pattern will be placed for greatest impact.




Whenever possible, the back of the pillow will have the the same fabric as the front, and the side seams will match...





And when I use a contrast back,  it will coordinate...




What I do matters to me, whether it's for my shop or for my design clients (I'm still a full time decorator, by the way!).  So, when you add a piece of jewelry to your space in the form of one of my pillows,  you have my promise that it's the best quality I can possibly give you.   And I can't wait for you to see one in person!


Shop 6 Wilson at etsy.com/shop/6wilson

3 comments:

  1. They say the devil's in the details and you've really got those down. I'm really impressed with the pattern matching. It's nice to see the fabrics up close too; they're really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful and well made....good luck to you and your new shop...Im going to have to add you to my blogroll..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pillows are so beautiful and well made. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete