Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Before and After: Challenging Style

Traditional meets fresh Southwest.  Quite a combo, huh?  But this describes my clients perfectly.  They love Southwest style, and wanted to incorporate some rustic bits of it with some fresh color and their traditional furnishings.  I thrive on a challenge.  And I love eclectic mixes.

I visited this client today to measure for the living room window treatments, which are in phase two of the plan.  The chairs and sofas have arrived, the walls have been painted, (the rug was existing), and the coffee table and custom pillows are due to arrive any day.    Forgive the re-scanned copy of this before pic, where the walls are white and the two old silver-green chairs got the boot!




Here's where things stand now.  The color is off a bit -- the walls are blue-green, not so blue, but you'll get the idea. 





 The two soft white sofas will have a rustic pine-topped, strong and clean-lined iron coffee table in between them.




The front foyer in this open home is at the entrance to this room.  Here is what it looked like before (again, a crummy re-scanned copy...)





To introduce the eclectic, rustic Southwest feeling and tie it to the living room, I put in a significant pine piece and suggested the wall be a darker accent color.  The artwork was the homeowners, and the lamps we added gave the space much more presence.




In the background of this foyer picture, you can see the first project I did for this client -- the family room window treatments -- the colors of the foyer are echoed in the textured pattern and the color of those panels.  We all know flow in an open plan is critical.

I can't wait until the living room becomes more complete and I can show you the rest.  In the meantime, what would you say your most challenging eclectic mix has been?

Talk to you soon,
Carol



For professional help with your home, please email me at SofasandSage@gmail.com


10 comments:

  1. carol it is really looking great, I love the fabric on the two chairs and how it pulls the blue/green in the rug. The pine piece in the foyer was a perfect touch to add, Great job so far, Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that pine cabinet...perfect choice. My most challenging job?
    Try to incorporate a surfboard coffee table that my clients father made into a 1920's spanish bungalow, include a cat tree for their beloved pet and all on a budget! We did it and they were pleased but I must admit it is not photos I share often with other clients. all part of the fun of being a designer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this redo.. it's giving me some hope that I can incorporate santa fe into my love of the traditional.. I love them both.. so most challenging by far is finding a couch that bridges both worlds! In taupe, no less! This room looks great. I love the entry way with the accent wall and the more rustic look. something i certainly want to try when the rest of the furniture is picked out! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Carol! Love that pine piece, the height of the lamps, wall color, and homeowner's artwork. You've managed to marry everything successfully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol! You knocked this out of the park. When you said "traditional meets southwest" I thought, "YIKES"! But this looks incredibly beautiful and timeless without feeling theme-y. I'm ready to move in! :-) Can't wait to see the end results!
    xo,
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! The chairs look amazing with that rug. What a perfect piece! I think you win for most challenging mix ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pairing of that rug and the chair fabric is genius! It's such a different color palette, totally unique and quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Carol! when I first read the paring SW with traditional I didn't know how in the world that could be pulled off, but you did it!! looks great, lovely job! love the chairs with the rug!
    how fun that you and Steve got to meet!!
    happy weekend!
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol it is just beautiful without being "too" southwest.
    I want to buy another house just so you can decorate it! Love your style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol what a fabulous job! Love what you did, thanks for sharing it with us!
    x
    maria

    ReplyDelete