Monday, June 20, 2011

Outdoor Living to Match or not to Match?

We hear about "bringing the outdoors in" all the time in decorating.  So I ask you, do you think your outdoor living spaces should coordinate with what goes on inside your home, or do you prefer a totally different look?

In my opinion, the most successful outdoor living spaces coordinate with and reflect the personality of their environment first, and the interior of the home second.  What's that I'm saying? Decorate to the colors and mood of the landscape, the garden, the ocean or lake view (lucky you), and then choose furnishings that speak to the style of the furnishings in the house.


BHG


Check out the example above.  The chairs and the tablecloth in this lovely little setting coordinate so effortlessly with the blue and purple in the garden that it just belongs there, doesn't it?  It beckons you to sit and stay a while. You picture the kitchen that leads to this slice of heaven to be a bit rustic, maybe it has an old farmhouse table as an island.  Wouldn't you be so disconnected if I said it was the yard of a very modern home?  Of course.

Now this outdoor shower area below is so fun, and it just screams happy summer color.  You can see the interior -- it just has to be full of white slipcovers and bold, beach ball colored art and stuff -- wouldn't you be surprised if it wasn't?  I'll bet there are oars hanging on the wall.


Coastal Living
Here's another one I picture having white slipcovers, but more sophistication inside, like sisal rugs, lots of glass, maybe some dark wood pieces, etc...


Coastal Living

In this next image, the color palette is all about coordinating with the garden and I love the connection.  And you can feel the vibe of the house it must belong to.  No formal Federal style home here...



BHG

Here a two images from the interior of a house in North Carolina.  Look at them for style.


Veranda


Veranda

Now, check out the next two images of the outdoor living area of this home.


Veranda


Veranda

You expect the outside rooms of this house to look like this, don't you?  What if they were decorated in the bold colors of the outdoor shower image -- wouldn't you just die and say 'what were they thinking?"  Instead, you want to go sit and look at that gorgeous view because it is all so harmonious.

So, what is your take?  Is your outdoor area a free-for-all departure from your home?  Or are you like me, and seek a bit of flow inside to out?

Talk to you soon,

Carol

4 comments:

  1. Love this post. I never even thought about it. These are such beautiful spaces. And now I know the reason why.

    Let me add that to the to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a post on this subject a while ago and I agree as far as the style and if you can see a room from the outside it should look like it belongs. I don't match my colors, but i do have somewhat the same style going on outside as I do inside. I think it is kind of inevitable if you follow what you really love both inside and out it will naturally flow. Great post Carol and wonderful examples to explain the concept!! Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a link between the home and the view. The atmosphere in the garden is an extension of the home. Lovely images! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh love those places.. I am trying hard working to create that flow since our patio is surrounded by windows into each room in this house. So obviously there has to be some of the same elements from one to the other.. what a great post. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete