Sunday, June 26, 2011

Antiquing with a Mission

Steve's house, An Urban Cottage

I told Steve from An Urban Cottage today that his style, to me, is "eclectically  perfect."  (If you read his blog, you know what I mean.) Or maybe it's just perfection.  Anyway, it resonates with me, and when we went antiquing at a new place to both of us, in Cambridge, I understood why his home is so pulled together.  This guy understands his style and he can focus.

This is where we went, list of desired things in hand...





I had my camera with me today, but I was so engaged in the four-story antique mart that we were exploring, that I didn't bother to take pictures.  (Sometimes -- gasp -- a blogger has to just be in the moment, not photograph it, and I was having way too much fun on the hunt for treasures to stop for the call of the lens!)  Check out Steve's pictures for a peek at the place.

We left with several things for Mr. Urban Cottage, and I, thankfully, went with an empty wallet (oh,but the most gorgeous French mirror with the reasonable price tag is haunting me..)





It was a great day, but I think the best part of it was something Steve said as I was pulling out of the driveway, when he saw some decorating books in the back of my car.  When he commented about the books, I asked if he wanted any of them.  He said...

"I've stopped reading decorating magazines and books, it makes me just want to copy the looks I see.  If I don't read them, I can stay focused on what I really like and do my own thing."

How's THAT for great advice? (And, undoubtedly, the secret to his cohesive, eclectic style).

Talk to you soon,
Carol



Let's work together for the home you've always wanted.  Email at SofasandSage@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. I was lucky to get those two photos myself. That mirror WAS incredible!

    Wow, what an honor to be quoted. I do find it the best way to stay true to myself. But it's still fun to sneak a peek every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, Just wanted to say 'hi'. It sounds like you had a very fun day. LOVE Steve's exterior! Have a great week! xo Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous home! Love the black and white!
    xo E + J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the grass clippers hanging on his kitchen wall. Wonder where Dad put his pair?

    ReplyDelete