Monday, April 25, 2011

And What of Style?

It can define us.  Elude us.  Taunt us.  It can tempt us to capture it and make it our own.  Is personal style evident in our design style?  If we allow it, yes.  The result?  Brilliant.

Create your own visual style... let it be unique for yourself 
and yet identifiable for others.
Orson Wells

I am a fan of Lauren Liess of Pure Style Home.  If you are a design blogger or an avid blog reader, surely you know of her.  She recently did a room in The DC Design Showhouse.  Here's picture of Lauren from her blog, followed by the room she designed in a look that is truly her own.

Lauren's personal style is in every detail of this beautiful room.  I think she defines the room as much as  the room defines her.  She owns her own style.   I've never met Lauren, but I know who she is by that room.  It looks like the picture of her, don't you think? 




One man's style must not be the rule of another's.
Jane Austen




Kelley Wearstler.  Talk about personal style, design style, her own style.  She doesn't imitate.  If she is imitated,  the look is referred back to her.  No one can do Wearstler like the woman herself.













Oh, never mind the fashion. When one has a style of one's own, 
it is always twenty times better.
Margaret Oliphant (British novelist 1800's)


I believe true style is pure, individual confidence expressed.  It doesn't follow trends or fashion or crowds.  It is single and unique.  Much like this room I loved when I saw it in Canadian House and Home...





Do you think style is natural, or can it be learned?  Do tell....

Talk to you soon,
Carol

6 comments:

  1. I would say style is a little bit of both. I think we are definitley influenced by what we see and where we live but I also feel some people are just born with a gift of natural style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lauren too. I find her entrepreneurial spirit very inspirational.

    I agree that style is both. You need to have a base of knowledge and then your natural talent will make your style sing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone has their own style but it can be edited or improved. These lovely ladies certainly have it in abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think style is in some of us naturally but I think it can be refined by learing from others and observing our surroundings. I think we can be taught what is classic and beautiful but putting it all together has to come from within!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You either have it or you dont...and when you dont you look to the experts..may it be interior, landscape, artist, caterer, floral designer etc...everyone has talent in some field ... computers,health,automotive,beauty...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Carol!! and Best wishes on your New Position to what seems to be a very Beautiful and New Venue for you. I know that you will do Fantastic in your new environment!
    I can already see that you are definitely in your own element now!
    You must be so happy,I am happy for you!
    You deserve all the recognition and praise you have coming to you.
    Your new Employers don't know how Lucky they are to have snatched you away from the Corporate World.
    Always remember Dear?
    Change is always for the Better!!
    Best of Luck to a Wonderful Person!
    and an even more Outstanding Designer!!

    ReplyDelete