Monday, April 18, 2011

Wanted: Instant Ideas

If you're a decorator, designer, or stylist, you've been in this situation --you walk into an eager client's house, you talk with the client about the space and then you get the question: "What do you see in here?"  Or, "How would you arrange the furniture, is this the right color on the wall, don't you think I need a bigger sofa," and the list goes on.  The client expects immediate answers.  You are, after all, the professional.  You do this every day.

If only we had that  instant magic.


No great thing is suddenly created.
Epictetus (Greek philosopher, 135 A.D)


I'm sure back in 135 A.D. Epictetus wasn't talking about interior design, but his wise words certainly resonate with those of us in the field.  Design, the art of decorating, truly is a creative art and it takes time to make the magic of a space happen.  Yes, I can walk into a room and know that the wall color is wrong with the current furnishings, or that the sofa would be better placed somewhere else, but for the most part, I need to ponder the space and let it speak to me.  Sometimes, when I find the perfect fabric for example, the rest of the room will unfold.  The point is, we need time (not weeks or even days, mind you), but time to catch our breath about a space, to know what the completed room looks like in our minds.




Bierly-Drake, Inc. Traditional Home

I can assure you that the design team on the room above (one of my all-time favorite images because it has my name written all over it), played with the floor plan of this space until they were satisfied with the layout.  Then they contemplated the right mix of finishes, etc.  I'm not saying they couldn't see the room in their mind's eye, because we in this field can do that.  But the detail, the magic, doesn't often come in an instant.  Days or hours, maybe, but not upon entering a space.

So, as much as you hope for the instant idea when your designer enters your space, give him or her a little leeway.  That's how you end up with the right thing, at the right time, and beautifully done.

Design is a process.  Enjoy it as it unfolds.

Talk to you soon,
Carol


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful room and great post. I think all room have to have an inspiration point and then unfold from there. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing what is wrong with a space is almost instant - knowing how to fix it definitely takes time and planning. I am not sure I could ever put together an entire room at one time. My house sort of evolves as I find things and think about how we use the spaces. I always have admired people who can just enter a room and know see the entire picture all at once and know exactly what they would do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Once I find the inspiration (light fixture, fabric, rug) the rest of the room can sometimes come quickly or evolve over time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol,
    Sounds like you're busy! Hope you'll find time to check out the GiveAWay I'm hosting -- a Denmark company is giving one lucky person hand-stenciled house numbers. Check it out. Have a great weekend, -susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post with great ideas. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Xo,
    E&J

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so true. . . and especially with an empty room and when we have to work with dated colours, then it's even harder!
    x
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree! I often find that when I find the right fabrics, it all falls into place ... but I can't tell you *for sure* what it is going to be until we get there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...gosh...I get this all the time. "Tell me what you would do." I hate that. I used to always say..."Well, I need to study it and come back with my thoughts on the project." But that always gets me an irritated, "I thought you were a designer!" look. So now I throw any idea out and say that I'm thinking of this but have to analyze and come back with something perfect. I've learned they just want me to say anything. It doesn't matter how wrong it is...it's like they don't have confidence in me as a designer unless I can come up with something off the top of my head. Drives me NUTS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think what takes time and what we should always take time on it getting to know the client and what they love and dislike what their needs and wants are. Once we know that we can begin to unfold a room that will not only fit in the space but fit in their lives. Kathysue

    ReplyDelete