Friday, April 8, 2011

How To: Knife Edge Pillow with Trim Part I

Wanting to "spring up" my living room while it is in transition, I decided to make some new, bright pillows for the sofa.  So, here's my tutorial on making knife-edge pillows (I have a thing about dog-eared pillows, where the corners are very exaggerated -- don't like them!).  Here's the finished pillow...




I haven't sewn the bottom seam yet, so that's why it's a bit rumply.  I only have so much time in my house for good lighting without using a flash, and the clock was ticking. :)

Supplies Needed:

Pillow insert (I always use down-blend)
Two fabric squares, cut the same size as the pillow insert
pencil
ruler
fabric scissors



1.  Always trim off the selvage edge to avoid any chance of puckering, especially if you have your covers dry cleaned in the future.



2.  My inserts are 20", so to get a plump pillow in the end, I cut my front and back exactly 20", to give me a 19" finished product.  Always decide what you want the finished size to be, then purchase larger inserts.
(The angle of this shot is weird -- it really is a square).



3.  To eliminate dog ears, first, carefully fold the front in fours.





4.  Now, fold your square in four, to make another square.  Mark the halfway point on the two sides that are not part of the fold.




5.  At the corner between the two marked points, measure in and mark the 1/2" point.




6.  Using a ruler, connect the dots.




7.  Cut along the lines.  When you open up the square, you'll see that the corners now angle down.  This is what helps to soften the corners of your pillow.







8.  To sew the front and back together, put right sides together, and pin along the edges.  Leave an opening on one side, set in from the corners, so that all corners are machine-sewn.  Your seams should be a consistent 1/2".


9.  After sewing the side seams, clip across each corner and turn right-side out.  Stuff with the insert, and slip stitch the opening closed. (I normally insert a zipper, but time was of the essence today!)




So,  there it sits, waiting for its mate...



Truth be told, I don't ever mark my pillows like this anymore, as I've been making them for years.  I just eyeball it, and actually come further in from the edge than 1/2", I think.  I memorized these instructions from a Singer sewing book years ago.  It's a place for you to start and tweak to find what works best for you.

Part II of this tutorial will be the mitered-edge box trim on the face of the pillow.  Once you know how to do this, you can create great things!




Hope you find this useful.  If you try it, let me know!

Talk to you soon,
Carol

5 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish I could sew, Carol!!! Your pillow looks great. I am a pillow addict so maybe it is best I can not make any,lol,Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am inspired!! I love the color, the fabric (ooooo...velvet) and the trim. I never knew that little trick about softening the corners,that is genius, they look beautiful! Got any leftover fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pillow, excellent tutorial. Thanks for the inspiration and the information!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, as someone who spent 10 years in thew sewing industry - let me applaud you on a very easy to follow, easy to read, great visual tutorial! This is the perfect way to lost the dog ears that scream Home Made! One more tip - you can always stuff a bit of fiberfill (loose batting) into the corners to help ease the extra space. I was so happy to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol I really love the way this pillow turned out. I have been thinking about making pillows for my living room once the sofa gets here ... IF IT EVER GETS HERE ... SO MAD at West Elm right now. Anyway, back to the point ... LOL!!! I think this is fantastic ... now if ONLY I could figure out my sewing machine. Hrmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete