Wednesday, November 20, 2013

How To Do A Green, Black and White Christmas Tablescape

Green, white and black are big in Christmas decorating this year.  I'm not much of a trend follower, but I do love this one because these colors are long-time favorites of mine.  (I've had various shades of green in my home for years.)




I'll just say up front that none of these images show the true green of this tablescape. Argghhh!  I know that photographing green correctly requires a filter, so, not having one, I'll have to ask you to imagine these greens as lovely and limey, not quite so acidic as they appear here!

Anywho, this tablescape was completely inspired not only by the colors I wanted to use, but this black and white modern-traditional table runner I'm using.  (You can find it here.)  Let's take look, shall we?



I started with napkins and a tablecloth I already had, along with the brass napkin rings I've had since I graduated college. (Quality lasts, I gotta say...)  I added in some polka dot ribbon and layered on the black and white damask runner. 





I ran a thick coordinating satin ribbon down the center of the runner to layer in more color and interest. 





When you use a bold pattern like this damask, the other layers on the table need to play supporting roles, complimenting the pattern but not competing with it. 








While I do love to layer a tablescape along the the center of the table, the modern-traditional feel of these colors and patterns made me feel more inclined to keep it simple, using just candles...




To make sure there was enough Christmas in the mix, I added soft pine branches from the trees in my yard at each place setting.  This added both texture and the slightest scent.





Using things that are meaningful are always a part of entertaining for me.  Take the silverware, for example.  I have a whole mess of unmatched silverplate from my grandmother, who collected pieces as she found them because she never had a full set of silver.  Worn and tired as they are decades later, I still use them to remind me of her.  (See the lovely worn spots below?  I call it "love patina.")





So that wraps it up for this black white and green table.  Tomorrow I will show you how I mixed it up at bit and highlighted red instead. 

And, if you're wondering where the green chargers came from (again, prettier in person, just impossible to photograph), I couldn't find any in the color I wanted, so yes, I spray painted (!) my old gold ones...




What is it they say about necessity?

I hope you are inspired to create a simple, beautiful table of your own, no matter the color or the season.  I think it's one of the best ways to show your love for the people you share your meals with.

Happy table setting...




 
The white plates are from Homegoods this year.
The green ribbon and ornaments are from Michaels.
The table runner is available here in 6 Wilson on Etsy for $40.

3 comments:

  1. Love your tablescapes Carol, all of them! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and stay warm! xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! You are amazing...your entire table set up is elegant!Everything looks very classy.i would love to steal some of your ideas for thanks giving and Christmas dinner table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a post I needed to see not because they are my favorite colors but because its what I have. I have two sets of china that are green and white and two that are black and white. I really wish they were blue and white but this is SO pretty. I think I might sneak some blue in with spray painted chargers.

    ReplyDelete