Monday, January 13, 2014

One Kings Lane and My Statement Chair

  When One Kings Lane asked me to partner with them and other bloggers to talk about a statement chair in my home, it was just the push I needed to give my unassuming chair a bit of a makeover.   If you follow me on instagram (@6Wilson, and check out OKL on instagram, too, @OneKingsLane), you've seen what I've been working on.  Now, here she is...




Why was I planning on a chair makeover?  My living room needed some POP, a statement piece, something that would make me fall in love when I came into my room.  You can see from the Before that none of that was happening (I see you yawning) before I took on this little DIY!



One Kings Lane asking me to show a statement chair naturally gave me license to splurge on the fabric I've been carrying a swatch of for a year ;-), and I got to work on the look I've been envisioning to help complete my living room.  I have a thing for French furniture, the more simple and proportioned lines of the Louis XVI style, like my bergere chair above.  I know a bit about styles and periods, but if I didn't, One Kings Lane has a fantastic Home Decor Resource Guide that will tell me (and you)  just about everything I need to know.  I'm actually thrilled about this resource, because when I say I know a bit, it's really that I only remember a bit (lol), so having the OKL Home Decor Resource Guide to check things out is a great thing for me.  It covers just about every style you can think of (plus, it will make you feel smart, always a bonus).

So, what really makes a statement chair a Statement?   A couple of things.  First, it needs to relate to the space it's in, but be bold enough (in color, shape, or differing style) to draw your attention to it and make an impression.  It says "hey look at me, would you have thought to put me here?"




For my living room,  I wanted to make a statement with color and texture, combined with a new finish on the frame.  I mixed a hand-blocked linen with velvet, and then painted and roughened up the frame for more texture, which highlighted the carving and complimented the fabric pattern.









For someone else, a statement chair could be a modern frame in a room of antiques, or a bold contemporary fabric on a traditional wing chair.  One thing is certain, however, and it's that a statement chair doesn't need to be expensive.  If you have something you can redo that's great, and I know (because I am a OKL stalker), that if you're looking for a new statement for your own home, you can find something brilliant on One Kings Lane (and no, I didn't get paid to say that :-).

Is this the year for making a statement in your space?




If so, you might want to check out OKL's Home Decor Resource Guide for some great inspiration.  And thanks, One Kings Lane, for giving me the push I needed to get my DIY done!!

For help creating a statement piece in your home, contact me here.  To find beautiful statement pillows and accessories, shop 6 Wilson, here.

Oh, and before I go, One Kings Lane also asked my good friend Abby at Abby M. Interiors to show her statement chair -- check it out to see how we both love and use similar colors in our homes, in very different ways!

Linking up to Between Naps on the Porch and Savy Southern Style, Redhead Can Decorate,
French Country Cottage, Common Ground, and Three Mango Seeds...

9 comments:

  1. Carol, this is so beautiful. You always do amazing work! That fabric with the velvet--STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE! I knew it was going to be fabulous, and as usual you knocked it out of the park. Perfect pairing of color and texture, and the finished upholstery is so professional! You're my hero - don't you wanna spend the weekend in Niagara Falls, in our guest room, teaching me how to recover my English roll arm chairs in the living room!?!?!? LOL!
    xoxo,
    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Artie, um. no. Too cold and too much snow! As you know, reupholstery is really hard work. I've been doing it for years, and the great thing is that anyone can learn to do it well, it just takes lots of time and practice, like anything else. Wish you lived closer!

      Delete
  3. You NEVER cease to amaze me, my friend!! That chair is drop-dead gorgeous!! wow...I'm inspired...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve@AnUrbanCottageJanuary 13, 2014 at 2:16 PM

    That looks awesome! I love when a traditional or classic piece is paired with an expected fabric. It was genius to highlight the carved leaves on the arms of the chair too. They're the perfect complement to the leaves in the fabric. It's like you've chosen the perfect frame for the artwork...and together they sing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This chair is so beautiful plus it's a great upholstery job!! Love the double velvet piping. Lovely fabrics! Xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is fantastic! and i love the color of that velvet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I simply layered a few shades of white and a pale green then sanded it down. I did not do a top coat of any kind. I did use Ben Moore's Advance paint. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete